Joint Meetup with Marin County Less Wrong!

1 view

Jason Green-Lowe

Jul 4, 2011, 11:55:10 PM7/4/11
to lw...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Happy Independence Day! We are having a meetup tomorrow, Tuesday July 5th, at our usual spot at Mel's Diner, starting at 7 pm sharp. This week, we are being joined by the better part of Marin County's 6 LW'ers, and I'd really like to show them a good time. I will bring *fireworks* to dinner that we can all set off together in as public a place as people have risk-tolerance for. In honor of the national holiday, this week's discussion theme will be "When (if ever) does it make sense to sacrifice yourself for a greater cause?" Note that we will try hard not to debate any -particular- cause for too long; the goal is not so much as to find The Answer To Politics as it is to find general heuristics that can help us evaluate political claims.

Marin's meetup started about the same time ours did, and they've been doing way better than we have. So, we basically have two choices here: let the city of San Francisco be shown up big-time by a bunch of outlying wine-grower pseudo-rationalists, or deliver a minimum of 5 urban rationalists to Mel's Diner by 7. I'm hoping its the latter, but either way, I'll be at Mel's, and I'll be happy to see you.

Cheers,
Jason GL [Mass_Driver]
(415) 895-0650

Nisan Stiennon

Jul 5, 2011, 12:26:58 AM7/5/11
to lw...@googlegroups.com
I'm out of town. Have fun!

-Nisan

Richard Hollerith

Jul 5, 2011, 3:01:23 AM7/5/11
to lw...@googlegroups.com, Nevin Freeman, nazgulnarsil, Nicholas Novitski, Guswut, Elliott Kelley
Actually, I won't be able to make it. And Nevin told me he probably cannot make it either.

Mike Plotz

Jul 5, 2011, 7:38:40 PM7/5/11
to lw...@googlegroups.com
I won't be able to make it tonight due to prior plans, but I'll try to get to the next one, explosives or no.

Mike