Re: LW hacking tutorial

John Salvatier

Sep 7, 2011, 12:40:24 PM9/7/11
to Max Kesin, lw-public-...@googlegroups.com
Max is interested in an introduction to working on the LW codebase and suggested a prize to get one produced (http://lesswrong.com/r/discussion/lw/7hh/another_prize_suggestion/). I think this is a pretty good idea, so if he's willing to help make that happen, so am I.

The first thing to do is to determine what exactly it is that's missing. The github wiki (https://github.com/tricycle/lesswrong/wiki) provides instructions for setting up the environment but doesn't describe how the site works at all. I think we'd like to make it as easy as possible for programmers and especially web programmers to get up to speed on how to work with the site. I don't know much about web programming and even less about the lesswrong codebase, so I think to get a good sense of what this would involve, we should talk to someone who knows how the code well.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Max Kesin <maxk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey John - yeah, I'd appreciate if you get this going since you've done it before. I'm good for $50, but have a temporary acute cash shortage after blowing money on Irene evac. Should be good beginning of next months. In the meantime we should work out some qualification criteria, particularly the minimum qualifications, which should probably specified by some necessary sections any tutorial submission should have.

Max/Dr_Manhattan

Max Kesin

Sep 7, 2011, 12:46:04 PM9/7/11
to John Salvatier, lw-public-...@googlegroups.com
Someone who knows the code well = Tricycle people. I think Louie Helm is in contact with them.