Future prize ideas

John Salvatier

Aug 26, 2011, 1:40:26 PM8/26/11
to Ben Schwyn, Guy, lw-public-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Now that the spaced repetition prize is finished, I am trying to think of another prize to sponsor. Any ideas? Here are a couple ideas I've come up with.
  1. Essay on when and how style and dress is important (esp. citing psychological literature)
  2. Lit review of ergonomics
  3. Book review/summary of Consciousness Explained
  4. Guide to doing a literature review
John

Aaron Tucker

Aug 26, 2011, 2:01:07 PM8/26/11
to lw-public-...@googlegroups.com, Ben Schwyn, Guy
I think that the Guide to doing a Literature review probably has the highest multiplier effect on enabling future content, unless Consciousness Explained produces some incredibly valuable insight, or ergonomics has actually been a bottleneck.

Style article would probably provide fairly fast feedback, but I expect that there's more knowledge about the other subjects already in the community.

Some other ideas:
  • Article(s) on Nutrition
  • Reasons to have Kids (I think you mentioned an interest in that before)
Cheers,
Aaron Tucker

John Salvatier

Aug 26, 2011, 3:21:33 PM8/26/11
to lw-public-...@googlegroups.com, Ben Schwyn, Guy
More ideas:
  1. review of what is known about willpower
  2. review of affective (emotion) science (probably too big a topic for now)
  3. review of research on gaining/improving skill (as opposed to remembering). Gwern mentioned this paper http://www.gwern.net/docs/1993-ericsson-deliberatepractice.pdf (possibly related to ben/guy's research)
  4. an article explaining the testing effect
  5. review of what science has to say about intuition (luke linked to this review paper http://media.johnwiley.com.au/product_data/excerpt/08/04706800/0470680008.pdf)

Laurent Bossavit

Aug 27, 2011, 5:12:11 PM8/27/11
to lw-public-...@googlegroups.com
> • Book review/summary of Consciousness Explained

I might be interested in doing that one. :)

This brought to mind another possibility - scanning my bookshelves for
books that would be worth summarizing for LW and posting the list.

Ideally this should be a poll-type post open to others adding their
suggestions. Though as we know, polls are way broken at the moment.

Which suggests a new item: bounty for a working poll system.

Also: find out why the person who previously volunteered to write one
failed to ever release it.

Cheers,
Laurent