helping an old timer

Mark Lawton

May 31, 2024, 11:12:34 PMMay 31
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello All,

My 101 year old dad recently lost his wife.  He is an electrical engineer by training and is looking for some new activities to keep him active and intellectually engaged.

He has a long career of building and inventing stuff (including the very first avalanche rescue transceiver). He also was a pilot with 6000 hours of flight time, rock climber, skiier, and expert on error correction codes and cryptography.

I happen to be visiting him in Louisville this weekend from Portland and was wondering if anybody might be willing to show him around the LVL1 space and talk to him about how he could get involved.  (I understand that there are meetings on Tuesday nights but I will be back in Portland by then.)

Please email me directly to let me know if you could show him around.  Thank YOU!

Mark

Sean McPherson

Jun 1, 2024, 12:15:25 AMJun 1
to lv...@googlegroups.com
EE?

Is he a ham radio operator by chance? If not, boy do I have the hobby for him!

Sean / W9MCP

Larry Richardson

Jun 1, 2024, 6:50:47 AMJun 1
to lv...@googlegroups.com
This is absolutely true ! And a great time for hams also.

Mark Lawton

Jun 1, 2024, 11:26:19 AMJun 1
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sean,

Wow. Never thought of that Ham Radio could be something interesting for him. During WWII he worked in reconnaissance and a big part of that was as a radio operator / morse code.

How might I connect you with him?

-Mark
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lvl1/CAM71-Dtj_kdMykHZgueU9u0sG8NqKLPZjXkyUCmp_ByjgmL7iQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Sean McPherson

Jun 1, 2024, 1:59:21 PMJun 1
to lv...@googlegroups.com
There’re several great radio groups on both sides of the river :)

On the Louisville side, the ARTS group is always active (It’s one of our older groups dating back to 1927, although he predates it by just a bit!)

If he’s further south in the Louisville area, closer to Bullitt county, try https://ky4kybars.wixsite.com/ky4ky

I’m on the Indiana side, so we’re the Clark County Amateur Radio Club CCARC (W9WWI) https://www.clarkcountyarc.org since 1953

There’re Facebook groups for each, all have regular meetings, several support zoom-type access to meetings (CCARC does for sure) for those that can’t easily get out or who are medically fragile, and there’re loads of repeaters easy to reach with just a handheld in most cases as well as online with phone or computer in some cases even without a radio.

Sean / W9MCP

Mark Lawton

Jun 1, 2024, 5:48:24 PMJun 1
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all of you for your willingness to support my dad.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that I totally blew it… My dad lives in Louisville Colorado, not Louisville Kentucky.

That is probably too far to commute!

-Mark

Sean McPherson

Jun 2, 2024, 1:49:14 AMJun 2
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Not by radio! :)

Same general advice applies, but check out the Boulder radio club for local resources.

Also the public library makerspace there is BLDG61

And a local group has a LVL1 like space at Solid State

Hope this helps! And let us know if you or your dad ever visit Louisville, KY :)

Sean / W9MCP

howelnmoon

Jun 2, 2024, 7:14:10 AMJun 2
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Your father is so lucky to have you by his side as together you make your way through whatever life throws at you.

Hack On!
JM

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone