Shopbot Sunday June 1, 2PM

John McCord

May 22, 2024, 3:17:01 PMMay 22
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
The Shopbot CNC, like other equipment in Lvl1's inventory, is a most versatile precision instrument. It size and rugged construction can be intimidating and thrilling at the same time. Those experienced with 3D printers and Laser cutter/engravers find it's fundamentals as familiar as X, Y, and Z. Like 3D printing and Laser Machines, CNC machining, and the Shopbot are their own rabbit holes.

It is time to renew our Shopbot's bed material: routine resurfacing is beginning to eat away at one corner. The consensus is that we should probably glue a sheet of 1/4 inch on top of the current surface, and then glue a sheet of 1 in MDF on top of the 1/4 in plywood. Then we add weight so that we get even pressure across the length and width and patiently wait until the glue cures, a couple of days should be more than enough. and then surface the MDF.

The REAL Reason for inviting the membership is to provide a learn Shopbot by doing  opportunity by getting face to face acquainted with the Shopbot and those that have done projects. There have been enhancements to the Shopbot experienced users may want to check out. There are practices and more enhancements for tin the air, and a little conversational input would be welcome feedback. This is an opportunity to do something for the space in a short period of time and takeaway a little more than you came with.

So, reply +1 to get on the guest list. Questions?

Jm

Jim Dallam

May 22, 2024, 3:35:39 PMMay 22
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
+1 from Jim Dallam

Matt Schutz

Jun 3, 2024, 7:31:14 PMJun 3
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hi John, thanks for taking this on!  I've been traveling and just saw the message.  I dropped in last night and saw the work that's been going on.  Looking great!

Larry Richardson

Jun 3, 2024, 7:37:11 PMJun 3
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, First I've seen this post ! .
I've used the shopbot quite a lot, and, was on the last crew to change the MDF. I'ts not a fun thing, and takes time.
My recommendation would be similar to above, however, I would also add a bucket of screws ( every 12" would be great) on both the plywood and the mdf. The MDF screws can be removed after 24 hours. This will provide a consistent binding to the plywood.