[Lustre-community] Lustre 2.2 for SLES 11

Marco Nelles

Sep 27, 2012, 9:36:04 AM9/27/12
to lustre-c...@lists.lustre.org
Hi list,

we've created adapted kernel patchsets in order to get Lustre 2.2 incl. server
support compiled in SLES 11 SP 1 (based on 2.6.32) environments:

http://gauss.credativ.com/~mne/lustre/patchsets/

You will also find there patches for the SLES 11 SP 2 kernel 3.0, but we're
still working on this.

Maybe someone here is interested in. Please feel free to test and give
feedback.

Regards,

Marco

--
Marco Nelles
Tel.: +49 (0) 21 61 / 46 43-120

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz

Andreas Dilger

Sep 27, 2012, 10:04:32 PM9/27/12
to Marco Nelles, lustre-c...@lists.lustre.org
Note that there are already patches for SLES in Gerrit from Cray. It seems a shame to duplicate work in this area.

Cheers, Andreas

Marco Nelles

Oct 2, 2012, 5:21:02 AM10/2/12
to lustre-c...@lists.lustre.org
Hello,

> Note that there are already patches for SLES in Gerrit from Cray. It seems a
> shame to duplicate work in this area.

We know that and testing this patches already.

Our patches are a manipulated ldiskfs patchset in order to build a ldiskfs
kernel module for SLES 11 SP1 kernel 2.6.32. We've done this work for SUSE.

That patchset is based on patchset for Debian Squeeze 2.6.32 we've also
created:

http://pkg-lustre.alioth.debian.org/backports/lustre-2.2.0-squeeze/

For SLES 11 SP2 kernel 3.0 we're working on to get ldiskfs module build for
that kernel.

Are there any existing patches for kernel 3.0.0 ldiskfs support?

If you like, we're going to share our work of course.

Please let me ask some basic questions furthermore:

What's the exact difference between client and server? Is this only the ldiskfs
module? So, if we get the ldiskfs module compiled (and tested) for SLES 11 SP2
kernel 3.0.0 do we have in conjunction with the patches from Cray full Lustre
server support for SLES 11 SP 2 kernel 3.0.0?

Thank you very much,

Marco

Cory Spitz

Oct 5, 2012, 4:14:37 PM10/5/12
to Marco Nelles, lustre-c...@lists.lustre.org
Hi, Marco.

Andreas wrote:
> Note that there are already patches for SLES in Gerrit from Cray. It seems a shame to duplicate work in this area.

Actually, James Simmons @ ORNL has done most of the work to bring SLES
11 SP1 server support to Lustre 2.x. See tickets such as LU-335 and
LU-1826. I think that James has this work largely already done for
master. A few patches are pending for b2_3.

But there are not any existing ldiskfs support patches for Linux 3.x or
SLES 11 SP2.

I'd suggest that you start pushing what you have for Linux 3.x up
through Whamcloud/Intel's Gerrit (details at
http://wiki.whamcloud.com/display/PUB/Submitting+Changes). Be sure to
base your changes on the latest Linux 3.x patches you'll need. Watch
LU-812 (and others for 3.x > 3.0).

Thanks in advance for your submissions! Cray has traditionally been
interested in SLES server support in Lustre, but lately that has changed
mainly due to the initial lack of SLES support in Lustre 2.x, let alone
for SLES 11 SP2, which is based on 3.0 kernels. However, we can perhaps
try to collaborate a bit and provide some small-scale test results.

To answer your questions:
Operations Manual (http://wiki.whamcloud.com/display/PUB/Documentation).

> Is this only the ldiskfs module?
Not exactly. There are other server patches and a lot of code reuse
among servers and clients, but the ldiskfs module is the only missing
module you'll need to add at this point. Others have reported that SLES
11 SP2 servers w/ZFS backends already work and so ldiskfs is the last
piece needed.

> So, if we get the ldiskfs module compiled (and tested) for SLES 11 SP2
> kernel 3.0.0 do we have in conjunction with the patches from Cray full Lustre
> server support for SLES 11 SP 2 kernel 3.0.0?
Yes.

Thanks a good luck!
-Cory