[Lustre-community] Lustre with ldiskfs for SLES11SP2 / Question about ldiskfs

Marco Nelles

Oct 24, 2012, 8:07:21 AM10/24/12
to lustre-c...@lists.lustre.org
Hi!

As some of you might know, we are working for SUSE on a patchset in order to
get ldiskfs compiled with SLES 11 SP 2 kernel. If you're interested, see here:

https://gauss.credativ.com/~mne/lustre/patchsets/

Comments, hints or even changes are always welcome of course.

Furthermore I would like to ask a question about the future of ldiskfs. Lustre
2.4 will be able to use external OSD like ZFS. Is it right that an unpatched
ZFS can be used as storage engine with Lustre 2.4?
By now ldiskfs is officially based on ext4 sources from RHEL6 kernel 2.6.32.
What are the plans for ldiskfs with Lustre 2.4?

Thank you.

Regards,

Marco

--
Marco Nelles
Tel.: +49 (0) 21 61 / 46 43-120

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz

Brian Behlendorf

Oct 25, 2012, 2:00:12 PM10/25/12
to lustre-c...@lists.lustre.org
On Wed, 2012-10-24 at 14:07 +0200, Marco Nelles wrote:
> Hi!
>

> As some of you might know, we are working for SUSE on a patchset in order to
> get ldiskfs compiled with SLES 11 SP 2 kernel. If you're interested, see here:
>
> https://gauss.credativ.com/~mne/lustre/patchsets/
>
> Comments, hints or even changes are always welcome of course.
>
> Furthermore I would like to ask a question about the future of ldiskfs. Lustre
> 2.4 will be able to use external OSD like ZFS. Is it right that an unpatched
> ZFS can be used as storage engine with Lustre 2.4?

Right, ZFS doesn't require kernel patches so you'll be able to use a
stock kernel with Lustre+ZFS. Currently I do my Lustre development with
a stock 2.6.32 RHEL6 kernel.

> By now ldiskfs is officially based on ext4 sources from RHEL6 kernel 2.6.32.
> What are the plans for ldiskfs with Lustre 2.4?

That's a good question. Speaking for Livermore we'd love to see ldiskfs
get cleanly split from the Lustre source and promoted to a stand alone
first class package. Adding support for multiple OSDs has helped move
things is this direction, but a lot of work is still required to make
this possible for ldiskfs.

--
Thanks,
Brian