strange debian network problem

Richard Reina

Nov 17, 2014, 10:32:34 AM11/17/14
to luni-chicago
I usually connect to my LAN with the command:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.9 up

However on a newly installed debian (Debian 3.2.63-2+deb7ul i686 on a Dell Latitude D620) machine when I try this same method the connection works -- that is I can see the IP address under eth0 when I run ifconfig and can ping a local machine -- however within a minute a message pops up at the bottom of my screen reading:

connection failed: activation of connection failed

and the connection disappears, the IP address no longer shows up under ifconfig and I can no longer ping any local machines.

Any ideas as to what could be going on here?

Thanks

Richard Reina

Nov 17, 2014, 1:56:05 PM11/17/14
to luni-chicago
SOLVED--

It seems that network-manager if left running causes the local eth0 connection to fail.  Trick was to 'service network-manager stop' and the bring up eth0.

Arun Khan

Dec 11, 2014, 1:43:18 AM12/11/14
to LUNI
On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:26 AM, Richard Reina <gator...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SOLVED--
>
> It seems that network-manager if left running causes the local eth0
> connection to fail. Trick was to 'service network-manager stop' and the
> bring up eth0.

Stopping the service would be good only for your current session.
Next boot, the Network Manager would rise like the Phoenix ;)

Use update-rc.d [-n] name start|stop NN runlevel [runlevel] (man
update-rc.d for more details).

I am using Debian 7 (Wheezy) with a KDE desktop (KDE network manager)
and have had no issues so far.

-- Arun Khan