ISPs at this point (Uverse v. XFinity)

Jay S

May 3, 2024, 7:56:00 AMMay 3
to LUNI - Linux Users Of Northern Illinois (Chicago) - Technical Discussion
Hi, currently have XFinity
~400 MBits/s download, 20 upload

Thinking about cutting the cord
Thinking about switching to Uverse

looking at availability shows:
Typical Download Speed - 75-225 Mbps
Typical Upload Speed - 10-30 Mbps
Typical Latency - 36-60 Milliseconds

Anyone have any experience with UVerse?
Did you switch from Xfinity?
Sill the speed drop be noticeable?

Other thoughts on the comparison between providers?

Thanks
Jay

Matthew Gibbs

May 3, 2024, 10:18:42 AMMay 3
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay-

Would the Uverse be DSL or fiber optic?
Have you looked into RCN (Astound) or the 5G home internet offerings?

A separate consideration is whether you want to purchase the business or residential service.  The business service is more expensive, but, since you also use it for work, maybe you can justify it.  The trade-off is that customer service (at least with RCN, in my experience) is better than with the residential service (e.g. if it goes out they will respond more quickly and you don't have to be on hold for as long).

Matt

Jay S

May 3, 2024, 10:29:33 AMMay 3
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey thanks Matt
I think verse would be fiber, but need to look again

I’m not sure about RCN,not they serve my area, north suburban, but will at them too

Thanks
Jay
Sent from my iPhone

eviljoel

May 3, 2024, 10:30:37 AMMay 3
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jay,

Uverse DSL will be noticeably slower. Not worth it.

You can negotiate your Xfinity fees down to about $35 every year. You
just have to do the following:

0) Call customer service and say you want to cancel your service.
1) When you speak to a retention agent, tell the agent you want to
cancel your service one month from now.
2) If the agent asks why, mention the cost of the service.
3) The agent will offer you a better price. If the price does not come
out to $35 after auto-pay, proceed with the scheduled cancellation.
4) Call in the next day to reinstate your service. You'll get another
chance to negotiate your fees.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
eviljoel

--
eviljoel's PGP fingerprint:
A2BE 2D12 24D1 67CA 8830 DDE7 DFB3 676B 196D 6430

Jay S

May 3, 2024, 11:15:20 AMMay 3
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
$35 ???

I pay like $300 for internet, phone, cable (HBO, ESPN redzone)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/19d4dfb0-81e9-41bc-a124-4d2810bf3d09%40linux.com.

Jay S

May 3, 2024, 11:41:55 AMMay 3
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Looks like AT&T isn't even DSL
my area is eligible AT&T Internet Air

"AT&T Internet Air is a fixed wireless service delivered to the premises over the AT&T wireless network. It uses 4G LTE and 5G technology to connect to wireless antennas in the AT&T All-FiTM Hub. Fixed Wireless is a fixed wireless service delivered to the premises over the AT&T wireless network."

Neil R. Ormos

May 3, 2024, 1:51:04 PMMay 3
to LUNI List (New)
Jay S wrote:
> Matthew Gibbs wrote:
>> Jay S wrote:

>>> Hi, currently have XFinity ~400 MBits/s
>>> download, 20 upload [...]

>>> Thinking about cutting the cord Thinking about
>>> switching to Uverse

>>> looking at availability shows: Typical
>>> Download Speed - 75-225 Mbps Typical Latency -
>>> 36-60 Milliseconds

>> Would the Uverse be DSL or fiber optic?

> Looks like AT&T isn't even DSL my area is
> eligible AT&T Internet Air

> "AT&T Internet Air is a fixed wireless service
> delivered to the premises over the AT&T wireless
> network. It uses 4G LTE and 5G technology to
> connect to wireless antennas in the AT&T
> All-FiTM Hub. Fixed Wireless is a fixed wireless
> service delivered to the premises over the AT&T
> wireless network."

Even before you revealed that, the wireless nature of the service was telegraphed by the high typical latency and the high variability in the quoted download speed.

>>> [W]ill the speed drop be noticeable?

Whether you will notice a drop from 40 to 7-22 megabytes/sec depends on your specific use.

Your last-mile connection may not always be the speed-governing component. Particular web sites or other services may be slow. Some routes may be throttled or congested.

You might consider instrumenting your existing connection for a week or two to measure how often it is saturated and the typical speeds you experience.

When I doubled the speed of my service a few years ago, I tried to pay careful attention to how it changed my user experience. As best I can recall, I did not notice a change in ordinary web browsing. I did notice an improvement in downloading large files from some sources, including updates from Linux distribution repositories and mirrors, and the like. OTOH, going from a fast connection to a slower connection might be more noticeable, and a user expecting to experience slower service might be predisposed to "notice" even if there's no real change in the rate at which bytes are delivered.

Also, before switching you might consider whether you use any applications that are sensitive to latency and you might investigate whether there are periods when the ATT FWA will not provide even the bottom 75 Mbps "typical" speed.

eviljoel

May 3, 2024, 3:01:21 PMMay 3
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,

I only buy Internet from Xfinity.

- eviljoel

On 5/3/24 10:14, Jay S wrote:
> $35 ???
>
> I pay like $300 for internet, phone, cable (HBO, ESPN redzone)
>
> On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM eviljoel <evil...@linux.com
> <mailto:evil...@linux.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello Jay,
>
> Uverse DSL will be noticeably slower. Not worth it.
>
> You can negotiate your Xfinity fees down to about $35 every year. You
> just have to do the following:
>
> 0) Call customer service and say you want to cancel your service.
> 1) When you speak to a retention agent, tell the agent you want to
> cancel your service one month from now.
> 2) If the agent asks why, mention the cost of the service.
> 3) The agent will offer you a better price. If the price does not come
> out to $35 after auto-pay, proceed with the scheduled cancellation.
> 4) Call in the next day to reinstate your service. You'll get another
> chance to negotiate your fees.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Sincerely,
> eviljoel
>
> On 5/3/24 08:00, Matthew Gibbs wrote:
> > On Fri, May 3, 2024, 06:56 Jay S <m...@heyjay.com
> <mailto:m...@heyjay.com> <mailto:m...@heyjay.com <mailto:m...@heyjay.com>>>
> <mailto:luni-chicago%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:luni-chicago...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:luni-chicago%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/CA%2B0JGAfmCW7W1q09-9CviJKycTb56Ypv1RJn%3DomdCSbTbHkJOg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/CA%2B0JGAfmCW7W1q09-9CviJKycTb56Ypv1RJn%3DomdCSbTbHkJOg%40mail.gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/CA%2B0JGAfmCW7W1q09-9CviJKycTb56Ypv1RJn%3DomdCSbTbHkJOg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/CA%2B0JGAfmCW7W1q09-9CviJKycTb56Ypv1RJn%3DomdCSbTbHkJOg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> eviljoel's PGP fingerprint:
> A2BE 2D12 24D1 67CA 8830  DDE7 DFB3 676B 196D 6430
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/19d4dfb0-81e9-41bc-a124-4d2810bf3d09%40linux.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/19d4dfb0-81e9-41bc-a124-4d2810bf3d09%40linux.com>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/CANpdWGX0KqBg5HPHUFSCB%2BMQGQNUkzU3te-scvNNZZJawbQW2w%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/luni-chicago/CANpdWGX0KqBg5HPHUFSCB%2BMQGQNUkzU3te-scvNNZZJawbQW2w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
OpenPGP_signature.asc

Arun Khan

Jun 10, 2024, 11:08:34 PMJun 10
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 8:15 AM Jay S <m...@heyjay.com> wrote:
$35 ???

I pay like $300 for internet, phone, cable (HBO, ESPN redzone)

How much does the internet component cost in that $300 bundle?

I have used T-Mobile 5G Home Internet @50/mo.
I have gotten 150+ Mbps downstream and 75 Mbps upstream with 3 bars of cellular signal strength.
Latency is higher but I did not see any perceptible difference (compared to cable internet) in Zoom a/v chats.

--
Arun Khan

Jay S

Jun 10, 2024, 11:24:08 PMJun 10
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com
im not sure of the internet component

mscott pyewacket.org

Jun 12, 2024, 7:44:55 PMJun 12
to luni-c...@googlegroups.com

I pay like $90 / month for 1Gb broadband from RCN (Astound).

Internet only, coax goes to modem, no TVs

  • Mike Scott