HST vs JWST - Image Comparisons

Alan Marcum

Jul 13, 2022, 2:05:11 PM7/13/22
to LUNAR General
With the first production images coming in from the James Web Space Telescope, we’re also starting to get some window shade comparisons between images from each of the same part of the sky. For example, see

- Alan
Alan Marcum, a...@RhinoAviation.com
LUNAR 392, NAR 63357
(pronouns: he/him/his)

Anthony Cooper

Jul 13, 2022, 9:30:13 PM7/13/22
to General LUNAR
Awesome comparison. I was waiting for that. I can't help but wonder about the flaring.
Anthony M. Cooper
31120 Chicoine Ave.
Hayward, CA 94544-7432
VP and Membership for lunar.org
Membership for mgscv.org
Cell: 510-589-5292

--
This list is moderated. Your first port will have to be approved prior to being posted. Feel free to chat about anything your fellow rocketeers would find interesting.

Charlie Wittman

Jul 14, 2022, 2:55:30 PM7/14/22
to Anthony Cooper, General LUNAR
Awesome

CW

Jul 14, 2022, 3:48:15 PM7/14/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
What about the flaring?  Six flares because of the geometry of the three supports that hold the secondary mirror.  Hubble has four supports with different geometry and you end up with four flares.

My understanding is that they’re less visible in the frequency range that’s of most interest (near infrared) and that you only really see it with bright point sources (i.e. stars) and it doesn’t really affect the science aspect.

Doug