First Launch at Rockconn

stanle...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2021, 1:25:34 AM7/19/21
to LUNAR General
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on scratch building my rocket.
Had my first launch out at Artesia Flats and it worked pretty good, except the parachute was too tight and didn't come out, it was probably a good thing that I launched out in the desert.
Since my body tube is very small(29mm), I'm looking the x-form parachute, 24 in size. Are the x form parachutes smaller when packed than there equivalent size single piece circular parachute?

srkendal

Jul 19, 2021, 1:31:17 AM7/19/21
to lunar-general
24" might be a bit big for a spherical 'chute at 29mm. I've forgotten how heavy your rocket is (I've got the file somewhere I'm sure). Top Flight makes X-form 'chutes, try looking there. Maybe an 18". Might be a tad fast on the way down.

Steve

--
This list is moderated. Your first port will have to be approved prior to being posted. Feel free to chat about anything your fellow rocketeers would find interesting.

stanle...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2021, 1:38:34 AM7/19/21
to LUNAR General
Thanks for the recommendation. I think my weight, at least in openrocket(not sure if the default mass displays above max velocity, acceleration, apogee, openrocket lists it as "Mass with Motor", but I'm on an Aerotech RMS system so I'm not sure if openrocket displays mass of rocket+ casing, or rocket+casing+propellant), is 425 grams.

stanle...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2021, 1:39:17 AM7/19/21
to LUNAR General
Also do X-form chutes help reducing lateral drift compared to standard circular parachutes?

srkendal

Jul 19, 2021, 1:43:20 AM7/19/21
to lunar-general
Eh, it's all in: rocket, casing, grains, etc. So, at burn out, you're way less than a pound. Might be good with just a biggish streamer. Just do a good job of gluing on the fins.

Steve
On Jul 18, 2021 at 10:38 PM, stanle...@gmail.com <stanle...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I think my weight, at least in openrocket(not sure if the default mass displays above max velocity, acceleration, apogee, openrocket lists it as "Mass with Motor", but I'm on an Aerotech RMS system so I'm not sure if openrocket displays mass of rocket+ casing, or rocket+casing+propellant), is 425 grams.

srkendal

Jul 19, 2021, 1:45:19 AM7/19/21
to lunar-general
Allegedly. Really depends on how hard the wind is blowing. Everything drifts, some more than others. A tumbling body tube w/o a 'chute will drift in a good breeze.

Steve

Gene Engelgau

Jul 19, 2021, 9:34:06 AM7/19/21
to LunarGeneral google
The parachute geometry does not change how the wind affects the parachute drift.  The parachute in any case will move with the wind around the chute.

-Gene

- Regards
Gene Engelgau
Web: http://fruitychutes.com - Professional Aerospace Recovery Systems