Launches from Alameda NAS?

Emma Humphries

Apr 1, 2022, 6:06:10 PM4/1/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
I live in Oakland, and would be interested in getting permission to fly low and mid-power out of Alameda NAS, esp. since we lost our sponsor at Google/Ames.

Since we don't have our high power range until the rains return, it'd be good to have some launches over the spring and summer.

I have a contact at Astra, who is checking on what became of the company's NAR chapter (I assume they got busy with putting stuff in orbit.)

Aside from the NAR documentation on reaching out to site owners, has anyone else spoken to the City of Alameda or the company they spun out to develop the old NAS.

I don't know the specifics, but it looks like we'd have at least 3,000^2 ft of space to fly in.

And it's accessible by car, bicycle, and ferry (from SF Ferry Building.)

I'm happy to take this task on, esp. since I'm across the channel from Alameda.

image.png

Emma Humphries, NAR 27698, L1
Peralta Rockets and Fiber Arts
Prescott, West Oakland

William Kellermann

Apr 1, 2022, 6:21:31 PM4/1/22
to LUNAR
My recollection is this option was looked at awhile ago but there was a conflict with the Oakland International Airport airspace.  It’s been a few years.

--
This list is moderated. Your first port will have to be approved prior to being posted. Feel free to chat about anything your fellow rocketeers would find interesting.

Anthony Cooper

Apr 1, 2022, 7:21:17 PM4/1/22
to General LUNAR
Would I remember is there was a bird sanctuary in the center of the runway and they would not let us fly there.

Anthony M. Cooper
31120 Chicoine Ave.
Hayward, CA 94544-7432
510-589-5292

Emma Humphries

Apr 1, 2022, 7:37:02 PM4/1/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Anthony,

Do you recall who you talked to, and when?

Doug Wade

Apr 1, 2022, 7:49:43 PM4/1/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Specifically endangered burrowing owls like nesting in the dirt around the runways.  So in theory if you launched off the runways to do recovery you would be trampling through their habitat.

Aleksandar Milivojević

Apr 1, 2022, 8:01:51 PM4/1/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not a pilot, but once upon a time I played a lot with flightsims and learned how to read approach plates... Assuming I still remember the basics (which I may not, and may be reading them wrong), per ILS approach chart for runway 12, the approach is approximately right above Alameda NAS. The aircraft would intercept localizer no later than 6 nautical miles out, and they'd be at 1800 feet at that point. Alameda NAS is about 4.3 nautical miles from the runway, so by that time landing aircraft would be already established on the glide slope and descending for almost 2 nautical miles; i.e. they'd be well under 1800 feet as they fly above the island.

And this is not to mention that northward departures take off towards the island, and depending on type of departure, they may be required to stay under 2000 feet altitude until they are around the Alameda NAS (e.g this departure, CNDEL is almost above Alameda NAS).

I'm skeptical of the FAA approving launching anything from Alameda island.

Emma Humphries

Apr 1, 2022, 10:18:13 PM4/1/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, everyone, for the updates and advice.

I do understand the burrowing owl habitat, when I lived in Mountain View, the big companies were cavalier about the burrowing owl habitat around Shoreline building all those towers in and around Ames. And you have to heed the warnings and don't go stomping on desert tortoises when you go looking for your rocket at FAR.

I'll do a little more poking around.

I saw that Fred Radford secured a site for a group of high schoolers to fly their projects in Hollister, but they were flying to ~100 ft?

John McDowell

Apr 1, 2022, 11:46:56 PM4/1/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Various Cub Scout groups (that think snow ranch is too far for parents to drive to) have been looking for a closer low power launch opportunity since the last launch at Moffett. If someone makes any progress there’d be plenty of interest!

--
John McDowell

Emma Humphries

Apr 2, 2022, 12:10:54 AM4/2/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
I love flying out of Snow Ranch, but something closer for low and mid-power would be great.

If you have ideas, let me know, and I can work on a pitch deck for landowners.

Emma Humphries

Apr 2, 2022, 12:22:57 AM4/2/22
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
The south parking lot at the Coliseum?