Pinata Rocket Ground Testing

Anthony Cooper

Mar 2, 2023, 10:28:50ā€ÆPM3/2/23
to General LUNAR
I did some ground testing of deployment charges for my Pinata rocket. I crashed it two launches in a row. Not going to crash it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0of6Gc54W90
Anthony M. Cooper
31120 Chicoine Ave.
Hayward, CA 94544-7432
VP and Membership forĀ lunar.org
Membership forĀ mgscv.org
Cell: 510-589-5292

Tim Robinson

Mar 2, 2023, 11:09:20ā€ÆPM3/2/23
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Some amount of too much is better than any amount of too little!

--
This list is moderated. Your first port will have to be approved prior to being posted. Feel free to chat about anything your fellow rocketeers would find interesting.

srkendal

Mar 2, 2023, 11:18:55ā€ÆPM3/2/23
to lunar-general
Maybe shorten the space between the AV Bay and the shroud line connections? I thought the rule was 1/3 SC length, but that may depend on just how long the SC actually is. Remember, that AV Bay is pulling that 'chute out, the deployment charge is not "blowing" it out. Having said all that, I otherwise agree, 4gms seems much better. Good test.

Disclaimer: This is just my 2Ā¢ worth, so that's likely all it's worth. (I so wish James was here.)

Steve

Tim Robinson

Mar 2, 2023, 11:23:56ā€ÆPM3/2/23
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
I think James would advise that the shock cord length should be as much as you can fit in the bay. So the chute should be attached to the cord near the bay, allowing it to be pulled out, but far enough back to properly organize the recovery system.Ā

srkendal

Mar 2, 2023, 11:27:34ā€ÆPM3/2/23
to lunar-general
I totally agree! Sounds exactly like him! šŸ˜ šŸ‘

-Steve

On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 8:18 PM srkendal <srke...@comcast.net> wrote:

--
This list is moderated. Your first port will have to be approved prior to being posted. Feel free to chat about anything your fellow rocketeers would find interesting.

srkendal

Anthony Cooper

Mar 3, 2023, 1:35:58ā€ÆAM3/3/23
to General LUNAR
I was taught that if the cardboard survived, it was not too much. šŸ˜

______________________________________
Anthony M. Cooper
31120 Chicoine Ave.
Hayward, CA 94544-7432
VP and Membership for lunar.org
Membership for mgscv.org
Cell: 510-589-5292

Anthony Cooper

Mar 3, 2023, 1:38:52ā€ÆAM3/3/23
to General LUNAR
I have it on good authority (James Marino) that there is not too much shock cord until it does not fit in the rocket. However, Sheryl Cooper says that it is too long of the shock cord is longer that the altitude rocket flies.Ā

______________________________________
Anthony M. Cooper
31120 Chicoine Ave.
Hayward, CA 94544-7432
VP and Membership for lunar.org
Membership for mgscv.org
Cell: 510-589-5292

Cliff Sojourner

Mar 3, 2023, 1:47:31ā€ÆAM3/3/23
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
James would roar "Show Me The Laundry!!", and that seemed to help usually.

Isn't there a safety rule, about shock cord length, the two parts have to land in the same county within the hour.

{Aaron!Ā  Peter!}