2010 Heya!

sonali david

Dec 31, 2009, 3:13:27 AM12/31/09
to lumes
Dear all,

It's been 1/2 a year since we graduated, but that doesn't mean we
forget to keep in touch. Here's wishing all of you and your loved ones
a very joyous and great 2010.
And I hope as time passes us by, we don't make that an excuse to drift away.

Warm hugs from a not so warm New Delhi.

love,

--

Sonali
+91 9717 352 169

Epule Epuli

Jan 1, 2010, 9:23:14 AM1/1/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Happy New year to u all people,Thanks Sonali for reigniting communication

Camilla Skjerve-Nielssen

Jan 2, 2010, 5:45:08 PM1/2/10
to lumes google group
Happy new year! I miss you all!

Its -19 C in Oslo. What's the temperature in New Delhi Sonali? :)

Camilla

> Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:43:27 +0530
> Subject: 2010 Heya!
> From: sonali...@gmail.com
> To: lu...@googlegroups.com
> --

Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from Hotmail®.

Christian Schmidt

Jan 2, 2010, 8:50:50 PM1/2/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Happy New Year!

- 20 in Calgary last few days, hope everyone is keeping warm, or cool as the case may be ;)

Hugs,

Christian

Sarah Kollnig

Jan 2, 2010, 11:27:10 PM1/2/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
oh come on...we really ought to be talking about more than the weather :-). Just spending the night at Stanstead airport after a fabolous Hogmanay at Lucy`s. Have an excellent new year!
Sarah
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:50:50 -0700
> Von: Christian Schmidt <schmidt....@gmail.com>
> An: lu...@googlegroups.com
> Betreff: Re: 2010 Heya!

> <lumes%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/lumes?hl=en.
> > >

> > ------------------------------

> > Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right
> > from

> Hotmail�.<http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_4:092009>

> > --

> <lumes%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/lumes?hl=en.

sonali david

Jan 3, 2010, 1:14:40 AM1/3/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Goes down to about +4 at night, but is a lot like Scandinavia; no real sun shine during the day, not because we're so high up latitude wise but because we have generous portions of D-og (dust + fog).
And I have a Swedish invasion going on. Sara (LUMID) was here a while ago, Jonatan (Klostergatan roomie) is with me right now though I'm packing him off to the sunny shores of Goa tomorrow, and Therese and Erike are supposed to come over later this month. Wonder if they can handle +4 .............with no central heating.

सब को प्यार,

Anna-Leena Ikkala

Jan 3, 2010, 6:47:51 AM1/3/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Happy New Year all!

And Sarah, I think weather is a safe subject to discuss... just came back from Lapland - it was -36 C when I left.. I think I win!

Anna-Leena

Junia Faria

Jan 3, 2010, 8:27:44 AM1/3/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
peoples! hope 2010 has been treating you well so far. can we start planning the reunion now? =)
big kisses from 36C. tropical storms are killing it this summer but when there's sun, it's hot. very hot. hail climate change!

Jeff Harti

Jan 3, 2010, 12:44:37 PM1/3/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hej all,

Canadians love to discuss the weather, that and hockey (ice not field) eh...

Getting ready to go back to work here after the Christmas and New Year holidays and I am hopefully that 2010 will be a great year for us all, and hopefully for the World as well.

As for the reunion I would suggest Cuba in February or March (as I plan to go then) but that might be a little impractical for most :) Also trying to reign-in my carbon footprint so I might have to take the bus to Brazil if that is where the LUMES re-union will happen. Or carpool, lol. You up for it, Mike?

Take care all and keep in touch.

Kram,

- jeff

Therese Nasman

Jan 3, 2010, 1:45:44 PM1/3/10
to LUMES
Happy New Year All!

I just came back to Bangalore from Auroville (close to pondicherry in
tamil nadu). A really cool experiment has been going on there since
the 60s: The concept builds on human unity and is a universal township
in the making with people from over 40 nationalities living there.

The purpose of Auroville is to realise human unity – in diversity.
Today Auroville is recognised as the first and only internationally
endorsed ongoing experiment in human unity and transformation of
consciousness, also concerned with - and practically researching into
- sustainable living and the future cultural, environmental, social
and spiritual needs of mankind.

They have turned a complete wasteland to a flourishing green almost
self sustaining community. I was very impressed with the work they
have done with reforesting the area and only organic farming is
allowed, they have solar kitchens, most households use solar power
only and all roads are lit with Solar powered LED. There are stations
where you can charge your electrical cycles or cars etc. pretty nice
place =) If you wanna know more
http://www.auroville.org/index.htm

Here in Bangalore it's about 24 degrees so I'm pretty happy =) (the
swedes love to discuss weather too). Tomorrow it's back to work for a
week before I'm gonna go visit Sonali in Delhi and attend an Asian
ESCO conference, hrm and as it seems freeze my ass off...

Miss you all!!!

-Therese

On 3 Jan, 18:44, Jeff Harti <jeff.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hej all,
>
> Canadians love to discuss the weather, that and hockey (ice not field) eh...
>
> Getting ready to go back to work here after the Christmas and New Year
> holidays and I am hopefully that 2010 will be a great year for us all, and
> hopefully for the World as well.
>
> As for the reunion I would suggest Cuba in February or March (as I plan to
> go then) but that might be a little impractical for most :) Also trying to
> reign-in my carbon footprint so I might have to take the bus to Brazil if
> that is where the LUMES re-union will happen. Or carpool, lol. You up for
> it, Mike?
>
> Take care all and keep in touch.
>
> Kram,
>
> - jeff
>

> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Junia Faria <juniafa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > peoples! hope 2010 has been treating you well so far. can we start planning
> > the reunion now? =)
> > big kisses from 36C. tropical storms are killing it this summer but when
> > there's sun, it's hot. very hot. hail climate change!
>
> > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Anna-Leena Ikkala <
> > annaleena.ikk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Happy New Year all!
>
> >> And Sarah, I think weather is a safe subject to discuss... just came back
> >> from Lapland - it was -36 C when I left.. I think I win!
>
> >> Anna-Leena

> >>  --

> >> lumes+un...@googlegroups.com <lumes%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/lumes?hl=en.
>
> >  --

> > lumes+un...@googlegroups.com <lumes%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

Kayoko

Jan 3, 2010, 11:49:28 PM1/3/10
to LUMES
Happy new year all!

Great to hear some of your voices.
Nagoya, the city I live in Japan is sunny & warm in the day time
(around 10).

Ayumi and her BF from Sweden visited us (me + Robert) around
Christmas,
and Lucy will be here sometime in Spring. Anybody is welcome!

I will make a business trip to Europe in late Feb, and am looking
forward to
going back to Lund, no matter how cloudy or rainy it may be...

Love,
Kayoko

On Jan 4, 3:45 am, Therese Nasman <therese.nas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Happy New Year All!
>
> I just came back to Bangalore from Auroville (close to pondicherry in
> tamil nadu). A really cool experiment has been going on there since
> the 60s: The concept builds on human unity and is a universal township
> in the making with people from over 40 nationalities living there.
>
> The purpose of Auroville is to realise human unity – in diversity.
> Today Auroville is recognised as the first and only internationally
> endorsed ongoing experiment in human unity and transformation of
> consciousness, also concerned with - and practically researching into
> - sustainable living and the future cultural, environmental, social
> and spiritual needs of mankind.
>
> They have turned a complete wasteland to a flourishing green almost
> self sustaining community. I was very impressed with the work they
> have done with reforesting the area and only organic farming is
> allowed, they have solar kitchens, most households use solar power
> only and all roads are lit with Solar powered LED. There are stations
> where you can charge your electrical cycles or cars etc. pretty nice

> place =) If you wanna know morehttp://www.auroville.org/index.htm

stella rose ademun

Jan 4, 2010, 8:38:10 AM1/4/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Hello,
Happy new year fellow Lumesians, back home in uganda all is great, Christmas and new year celebrations were very interesting and  its really great to be home again, The weather is good as usual and in Kampala city its 21C but ofcourse the impact of climate change are highly visible.
On a career note, i did a summer a course in Venice Italy in october and right now am working with the Ministry of Water and Environment as a Coordinator for Technical support on water and sanitation, the work is interesting though hectic because i have frequent travels all over the country but thanks to LUMES i think i got good training.
Enjoy 2010 and all the best of luck in ensuring a sustainable future

Stella

Cary Yungmee Hendrickson

Jan 4, 2010, 11:31:49 AM1/4/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Greetings from Michigan! It's been a wild ride back to the U.S. for the holidays and great to see my family and friends here. Fab, Isaac, Ahoo and I started the trip out together from Copenhagen after a wild week (and then some) with all the COP-15 events going on over there and had a short Roman/Itri-an holiday before heading further west.

I'll be back in Sweden on the 12th and staying until the end of February - if anyone will be craving a falafel or a good swedish snow just let me know, it'd be great to catch up in person there before I leave. Not quite sure where I'll be headed but hopefully somewhere a lot warmer than Malmo or Michigan...(for all you weather junkies out there it's been snowy, keeping below 0 and windy as usual...I guess not that much has changed!)

I was really happy to see all the emails from you guys and wish you the best in 2010!

Warm wishes,
Cary

Cary Hendrickson
Herrestadsgatan 9C #31
21749 Malmö
SWEDEN
+46 735 528 607

Sarah Kollnig

Jan 4, 2010, 12:24:24 PM1/4/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

After a few acceptable non-weather related postings, I feel like talking to
you again. It is indeed very nice to hear from you guys, and that some of us
have already found their place in this world. For me, that is still going to
take some time. After graduation, I started working with a Berlin based
research institute. I wrote a few things and attended a few conferences and
realised how established mainstream sustainability has become in Germany.
Everybody talks about it, but really without any depth. So I decided not to
prolongue the contract and go to Bolivia for a few months instead. I am
going to be dealing with the ecological consequences of mining activities in
the altiplano. After this, I hope to be closer to the actual meaning of my
life. I will keep you posted on that, if you want...And now, I want to hear
from even more people - Mwemezi, Mike, Walter, Junia - how are you??? I wish
you all a very successful 2010!

Greetings,
Sarah

P.S.: It's minus eight degrees in the Austrian Alps right now. A bit of
snow, not too much. Are you happy now?

sonali david

Jan 4, 2010, 12:30:23 PM1/4/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Negative 8 is not very impressive espcially after we heard of Lappland, Oslo and I'm sure Canada is in the running. You have to try harder to keep us happy Sarah. If there's no heating (therefore sustainable) then we may smile.

Sarah Kollnig

Jan 4, 2010, 12:51:37 PM1/4/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Whatever. I played the weather game, and that should make you happy.
Woodchip heating. Somewhat sustainable.

Maryna Karavai

Jan 4, 2010, 1:26:52 PM1/4/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hej everyone!

Glad to hear from all of you! Greetings from Denmark and have a fabulous 2010!

Things have been a bit crazy lately. So, now just trying to get back to normal. I am back to work after having been on a pretty wild tour around the Baltic Sea and spending more than 20 hours traveling by various random trains. And, yes, I second Anna-Leena: Finland is the coldest place on Earth. Every time i come the sea is frozen and it is almost always winter there :P. More on the weather talk: it was -25 in Minsk yesterday when I left and compared to that Copenhagen feels like Brazil now. Even though it is hilarious to look at how they are trying to deal with a snowfall here. But not much changed apart from the weather conditions, I am still in Scandinavia, still doing climate related stuff, still going back to Lund for the weekends.

Hope to see at least some of you this year somewhere sometime better sooner than later.

Best,

M.

2010/1/4 Sarah Kollnig <sarah....@gmx.at>

--
Maryna Karavai

mobile: +4552679607
m.ka...@gmail.com

sonali david

Jan 7, 2010, 3:47:05 AM1/7/10
to lumes
Ahh nice of you to begin the 'updates in our lives since June 09' now
that we've all told each other exactly how warm or cold it's been in
our neighbourhoods. Yes Sarah,  temperature is important.
I goofed around for a couple of months, and also helped my parents
move apartments (within New Bombay). Hung out with all my pals,
sneaked in vodka into all the late night shows at movie theaters, had
the freedom on sitting on a motorbike in summer clothes at 1 am - no
helmet and enjoyed warm surprise rain showers.... then one phone call
& it all changed.
UNDP called about a position that I had forgotten I had applied for,
and asked me to join in 3 days in New Delhi. I think I made quite the
first impression answering the phone all groggy in the afternoon
(partying takes its toll). And it started out as something for 8 weeks
but since has been extended ... not totally sure till when.
I've been loaned out as a consultant to govt of India for the nations
newest rural  development program. All I can say is that it's great
boot camp.
So come along to New Delhi (March and October are the best months,
weather wise) and I'll promise you an interesting time.

hugs to all!!

2010/1/6 Camilla Skjerve-Nielssen <cam...@hotmail.com>

> [...]
> ________________________________
> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:43:33 +0100
> Subject: Re: 2010 Heya!
> From: blomqvi...@gmail.com
> To: ruth....@gmail.com
> CC: aba...@yahoo.com; aho...@yahoo.com; ahoo...@gmail.com; annaleen...@hotmail.com; annaleen...@gmail.com; aron.h...@gmail.com; ayumi...@gmail.com; cam...@hotmail.com; cary.hen...@gmail.com; schmidt....@gmail.com; epulep...@yahoo.com; fabrizio...@studio.unibo.it; hit...@sonejifamily.org; naid...@yahoo.com; uz_i...@yahoo.com; idcam...@roanoke.edu; isaac.d....@gmail.com; pastoris...@yahoo.com; jeff....@gmail.com; JUNIA...@gmail.com; kumac...@hotmail.com; lucill...@gmail.com; lucill...@googlemail.com; m.ka...@gmail.com; iamm...@yahoo.com; mikeani...@gmail.com; mikeani...@hotmail.com; mirjamva...@hotmail.com; mwem...@yahoo.com; robin.b....@gmail.com; pearsaret...@gmail.com; rosean...@hotmail.com; sarah....@gmx.at; sonali...@gmail.com; ades...@yahoo.com; therese...@gmail.com; walt...@hotmail.com
>
> Hi all!
>
> Happy New Year! I hope that all is well with all of you and that you are finding your postlumes life to be a good one.
> Im as expected still in Lund and currently looking for work. This has not been very easy and I have only been doing some statistict for Lunds Kommun since we graduated. Im hopping for better luck this year.
>
> Kramar from a snowy Lund!
>
> olof
>
> 2010/1/5 Ruth Oettle <ruth....@gmail.com>
>>
>> hello All!
>> so great to hear from you! and ho ho ho happy christmas and merry new year :) hope everyone in the north is not too cold, if so might i suggest to stop whinging and put on a pair of thermals, or skip. my mother always suggested skipping when i was cold :D
>>
>> have just gotten back from the west coast of tasmania (average 22deg) where phone/internet is sadly lacking and what a lovely suprise to have all these emails to read and hear about what people are up to! if we happen to make change then woohoo! :)
>>
>> I am living in canberra (average temp 33deg) working at questacon which is australia's national science and technology institute. i am an 'outreach presenter' which pretty much means driving around australia talking about science, technology and innovation. have just spent 4 weeks in queensland (average 38deg) and am about to go to the northern territory (yearly average 32deg)...don't want to do this job forever but its pretty fun and i get to see australia and hang out with indigenous kids so its pretty great
>>
>> anyone heading this way anytime soon? the southern hemisphere is glorious at this time of year!
>>
>> so great to hear from you kids, i really miss living near you in sweden.
>>
>> xxox/kram/hug ruth
>>
>> 2010/1/5 Maryna Karavai <m.ka...@gmail.com>

> ________________________________
> Keep your friends updated— even when you’re not signed in.

Epule Epuli

Jan 7, 2010, 5:00:03 PM1/7/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,
Am sure we all had a wonderful time out there (wherever we are) enjoying the dawn of the great year 2010.
Coming down to issues on climate change i would say the experiences differe but Maryna i would contest your view that Findland is the coldest country on earth (kidding), minus 25 is not that bad.Before i moved to Montreal three months ago i knew scandinavia was the coldest region on earth but people Canada is exceedingly colder.Temps of minus 30 and above are the order of the day,old mother Lund is indeed warm.
All is however cool and it was really great reading from you all.My little life has not really changed,am now permanently based in Canada with my family as we got our permanent residence here here on the skilled migration program.Also managing a little part-time job with Equinox International Logistics and Hydraulics in Montreal while doing paper turning at McGill University.
All my regrads
Terence

merahi ahferom

Jan 7, 2010, 5:14:12 PM1/7/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations dear bro. I am very happy for you.. Praise the Lord. Give my warmest greetings to Wase and all the best!

 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

Jan 7, 2010, 5:32:09 PM1/7/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the cross-posting everyone. All the best wherever you are! God bless!

--
 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

>       >        +91 9717 352 169  +91 9717 352 169
>       >  +46 735 528 607  +46 735 528 607
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       > --
>       >
>       > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>       > Google Groups "LUMES" group.
>       > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>       > lumes+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:lumes%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com> .
>       > For more options, visit this group at
>       > http://groups.google.com/group/lumes?hl=en.
>       >
>       >
>

>       --

> --
>
> Sonali
>  +91 9717 352 169  +91 9717 352 169
>

> --

Maryna Karavai

mobile:  +4552679607  +4552679607
m.ka...@gmail.com

walter Garcia

Jan 11, 2010, 12:13:09 PM1/11/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Hey everybody...was really nice to come back from the holidays and find thousands of e-mails from lumes folks to read. I won’t talk about the weather just that here in Guayaquil is hot and humid..It really sucks around this months…was really happy to go away for new years.  I really wanted to wish you all the best in this New Year. I’m up for the reunion in Brazil, maybe some of you will like to come to Ecuador for a couple of days first, and then we all head to Brazil together ha? Maybe Jeff wants to cycle from here…its very nice but you probably get kidnapped in Colombia, especially with that red hair there is no hope for you man hahaha.

In the serious note Im working in the Energy Sector for a Public company, which provides with energy to the city of Guayaquil. Work in the environmental department and we do all kind of interesting projects, so Im very happy for now. Finally, switched to Mac, as I was tired of dealing with that PC piece of crap, so Im part of that 30% of the class who can never shows their graphics and tables in their documents…

Mattias growing strong was in Disney with him and Mariuxi last week he really enjoyed a lot. We finally have our own place, adapting again to living in Ecuador, but happy to be with family and friends, however I think of all of you very often. Have teach my friend to play flip cup, is so much fun and is spreading....All of you are welcome to visit, and really hope to see you again very soon.

so thats me so far...

Saludos totales,

Walter Garcia Cedeño

Gestor Ambiental de Distribucion

Unidad de Gestion Ambiental - Electrica de Guayaquil

Telf: (5934) 2-248000 ext. 2085

Mobil: 095713902

wga...@electricaguayaquil.gov.ec

Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:00:03 -0800
From: epulep...@yahoo.com

Anna-Leena Ikkala

Feb 2, 2010, 11:47:42 AM2/2/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Fine... so the weather report wasn't enough... nice to hear from all of you! Brazil doesn't sound bad at all...

Well, I finally handed in my urban paper a few weeks ago (!) and should soon get my papers from Lund after which I can start my traineeship thing at the foreign ministry's climate team. Which I'll hopefully do for the next 6 month after which I'll be unemployed again :) Other than that life is good, I'm in good terms with Helsinki and Finland even though we had a bit of a rough start.

I hope you're all well, and please come and visit! We have snow, a lot of it (65cm at the moment).

terveisiä,

Anna-Leena

Mirjam van der Hoek

Feb 4, 2010, 5:43:49 PM2/4/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

It's been nice to hear from so many of you!! Thought now it's my turn to give an update about life in Holland.

The weather: very Swedish, cold, ice, snow, rain, clouds, dark,.... you know

I'm working on a project called Ecokids. I'm teaching kids about nature and environment in an after school programme. In the past few weeks it has surprised me how little children know: where food comes from, what energy is, what birds eat, that plants grow from seeds, etc. I know I'm working in an urban setting with kids who rarely leave their own 'grey' neighbourhoods, but it's stunning to notice how small their basic knowledge is. Positive thing is that I know I'm doing useful work here...

Besides work, I'm taking accordeon classes, next week I start a column writing course, I'm trying to find an appartment and I'm dreaming about the colors I'm going to use to paint the walls (how about a pink bathroom with flowers in all sorts of colors?).

I wish you all the best!

Mirjam

Mirjam van der Hoek
Tielerwaard 43
3079 PV Rotterdam
The Netherlands
mirjamva...@hotmail.com
+31 (0)6 50894631

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:47:42 +0200
From: annaleen...@gmail.com
To: lu...@googlegroups.com
Ontdek nu Windows phone. De smartphone van dit moment

sonali david

Feb 4, 2010, 11:34:01 PM2/4/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Pink bathroom with differently coloured flowers - you could moonlight
as a bollywood set designer.

On 05/02/2010, Mirjam van der Hoek <mirjamva...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all!
>

> It's been nice to hear from so many of you!! Thought now it's my turn to
> give an update about life in Holland.
>

> The weather: very Swedish, cold, ice, snow, rain, clouds, dark,.... you know
>

> I'm working on a project called Ecokids. I'm teaching kids about nature and
> environment in an after school programme. In the past few weeks it has
> surprised me how little children know: where food comes from, what energy
> is, what birds eat, that plants grow from seeds, etc. I know I'm working in
> an urban setting with kids who rarely leave their own 'grey' neighbourhoods,
> but it's stunning to notice how small their basic knowledge is. Positive
> thing is that I know I'm doing useful work here...
>

> Besides work, I'm taking accordeon classes, next week I start a column
> writing course, I'm trying to find an appartment and I'm dreaming about the
> colors I'm going to use to paint the walls (how about a pink bathroom with
> flowers in all sorts of colors?).
>

> I wish you all the best!
>

> Mirjam
>

> Mirjam van der Hoek
> Tielerwaard 43
> 3079 PV Rotterdam
> The Netherlands
> mirjamva...@hotmail.com
> +31 (0)6 50894631
>

> --You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups

> "LUMES" group.
> lumes+un...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/lumes?hl=en.
>

> Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
> now.
> --
>

> --

Sonali
+91 9717 352 169

Christian Schmidt

Feb 8, 2010, 11:24:43 PM2/8/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Um, Sonali you had already promised that bollywood career to a certain Canadian.. hmm?

Seriously though, the updates have been awesome, easily the email I most look forward to, keep them coming!

Calgary has been even more of an adjustment than I'd expected, while for the most part I'm getting around without, the city is designed with a car in mind. Still it's nice to spend time with friends I haven't seen much over the past couple years as well as the family.

As for work, in December I was hired on as a consultant with a small sustainability consultancy with most of their work focused at the strategic level. Interesting and VERY busy. So busy that they're hiring another position in Ottawa. If any of you are interested here is the link. Contact me if you'd like greater details or some thoughts I might have for how to apply and what they might be looking for. It would be GREAT to have another Lumesian on board.

Hope every one is doing well, there's rarely a day that I don't think of one of you, or some experience from Lund.

Hugs!

Christian

sonali david

Feb 9, 2010, 7:29:23 AM2/9/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Oops ...Sorry Christian!! Didn't know you wanted to design the sets of the movie you'd be acting in. I'll call the producers asap.

Also, confession time: Im prolly gonna be investing in a car ... and before you boo ... right now it takes me 45 mins to get transportation for a 15 min journey. I'm still thinking of ways to avoid the car bit, any suggestions???

Any one wanna be my dedicated rickshaw driver here? Jeff - I'll give you 3 meals, occasional alcohol and a roof over your head and you cud cycle me to work and back... eh?

Buses are too packed (most of the time)
Rickshaws (motorized 3 wheelers) are lawless, so they don't wanna go where I work etc etc (Another reason why Bombay rocks, write it down people)
The Metro is in the process of being built right across from where I live.

Help Sonali avoid riding in a car...

Hugs from a slightly rainy and cool New Delhi..... anyone for the daal makhni I'm eating right now?

Mirjam van der Hoek

Feb 9, 2010, 7:42:03 AM2/9/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
just walk!!!

From: sonali...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:59:23 +0530

sonali david

Feb 9, 2010, 7:52:07 AM2/9/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Didn't you learn anything about New Delhi while growing up? It's 50 degrees C avg for most of the year, and quite unsafe for women after dark (and unlike some labour laws on this planet, if my boss decides she wants to work till 10 pm, I cant protest)

Think harder!

Jeff Harti

Feb 9, 2010, 8:52:22 AM2/9/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, 50 degrees eh, so riding an elephant is out, damn. Maybe a camel? Can we all pitch in to buy Sonali a camel from Rajasthan?

OK, so if you were to buy a car, would it be a Tata Nano? Are any electric cars (or electric scotters, 'e-bikes' as we call them) on the market in India yet because that would be a good option given that you would not have to drive very far each way to work. And I'm sure you could 'borrow' some electricity to charge your car from the local utility pole or from a neighbour's outlet. Cut those commuting costs.

Also, I think Mirjam is volunteering to be your rickshaw driver ;) I would be down but Canada need me, lol.

- jeff

Idris fofana

Feb 9, 2010, 8:53:53 AM2/9/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Get a horse or a donkey if the problem is about avoiding emissions.

Idris Nabih Fofana
Senior Civil & Environmental Engineer
Sierra Leone Airports Authority
Cell +232 33 326378

Feb 9, 2010, 4:29:06 PM2/9/10
to lumes google group
i second the camel or donkey idea. an electric scooter is ok too. do they do carpooling in new dehli? please don't get a nano! Camilla

Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:52:22 -0500
From: jeff....@gmail.com
To: lu...@googlegroups.com

sonali david

Feb 10, 2010, 1:06:18 PM2/10/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
You know how an animal or scooter would not be a preffered mode of transportation (even if they did work or didnt die) in minus 20 degrees -- now think positive 50, and the desert winds that come in from Rajasthan (people die of heat here).

LOL not to mention the govt of india doesnt provide parking for animals (contrary to popular belief)

Nano news - its got a 15 ltr fuel tank (like a picnic basket) and gives 20 kmpl and has a/c   :D

hugs from a (presently) very pleasent Delhi.... if you guys wanna visit Oct and Feb/March is the time to do it.

Camilla Skjerve-Nielssen

Feb 10, 2010, 3:06:00 PM2/10/10
to lumes google group
Hmm...I'm not convinced about the Nano, even if it is very small...But, I've never been to India and have never experienced more heat than 32 C!

Is moving closer to work an option? Or getting a ride with someone? (I'm trying really hard to be the green activist here)

Cam :)

From: sonali...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 23:36:18 +0530

Therese Nasman

Feb 11, 2010, 12:14:18 AM2/11/10
to LUMES
Well, the Reva is an option. It is an electric car, made by an Indian
company. Met their CFO a while ago, and they are making 2 new models
as we speak, should at least check it out, they are not too expensive
either. But then I also know that the electricity prices in Delhi are
ridiculous and a bit unreliable, so may have to do some cost-benefit
analysis there ey? =) , Otherwise look for a hybrid at least, do not
buy the nano!!!! Go for the camel any day before the Nano =). BTW are
you actually gonna drive the car ;)

On Feb 11, 1:06 am, Camilla Skjerve-Nielssen <cami...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]

> > Hi Guys,
> > Am sure we all had a wonderful time out there (wherever we are) enjoying the
> > dawn of the great year 2010.
> > Coming down to issues on climate change i would say the experiences differe
> > but Maryna i would contest your view that Findland is the coldest country on
> > earth (kidding), minus 25 is not that bad.Before i moved to Montreal three
> > months ago i knew scandinavia was the coldest region on earth but people
> > Canada is exceedingly colder.Temps of minus 30 and above are the order of
> > the day,old mother Lund is indeed warm.
> > All is however cool and it was really great reading from you all.My little
> > life has not really changed,am now permanently based in Canada with my
> > family as we got our permanent residence here here on the skilled migration
> > program.Also managing a little part-time job with Equinox

sonali david

Feb 11, 2010, 8:44:41 AM2/11/10
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Reva more expensive than the Nano, also uses a more expensive 'fuel'.
Any one else who suggests an animal will automatically be designated as its keeper and carer when Im working or having a life.

And to answer your question Therese - No I was thinking of hiring one of those super tall and well built Sikhs or Punjabi men to be my driver considering its a NANO!

Cam - you need to move beyond Scandinavian heat, 32 C - I wont even break into pespiration!

Nano Arguments aside, Im trying very hard to get my employers to consider my working from Bombay. Don't really want to be here in the summer + I miss Bombay.

सबको प्यार ,