Reproducable time problem with SMARTD & XNTPD

Nohez

Oct 12, 2003, 6:41:11 AM10/12/03

We have a Intel 875WP1-E motherboard with 2 onboard SATA ports.
In addition to the two 80GB SATA disks attached to these ports we
have three 160GB IDE HDD and one 300GB IDE HDD attached to 2 Promise
controllers (PDC20269). The server has xntpd configured on it to sync
time from remote timeserver. It has been running without any problems
for more than 2 months.

Last week we installed SMARTD on this box. SMARTD was configured to
monitor the 6 HDDs. The time on the server started to go out of sync
with the remote time server. And the difference increases over time.
As soon as smartd daemon was shut XNTPD started to get the server time in
sync slowly. We tried this 2-3 times and have noticed the same results.

Has anyone faced a similar problem ?

Nohez

Linux Distro: SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional
Kernel : k_smp-2.4.21-108 (SMP because of Hyper-threading)
XNTPD : xntp-4.1.1-177
SMARTD : smartmontools-5.1.4-20

-
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org

Nohez

Oct 14, 2003, 1:55:20 AM10/14/03

I removed the 2 SATA disks from /etc/smartd.conf and found that the server
time remains in sync. The moment I add any one SATA disk the time starts
to go out of sync.

So looks like SMARTD + SATA combo is causing the system time to go out
of sync.

I am also trying to relate this problem with a similar problem that
we are facing on four HP Netserver LH6000. System Time behaves
erratically. We noticed that all time related apps (sendmail,
ping, top, cron etc) stop. We noticed that time goes forward &
backward in seconds only. These servers do not have any IDE
disks and does not have SMARTD running. Detailed thread at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=104393747300002&r=1&w=2&n=6

All servers are running a SMP kernel and are facing a system time problem.

Nohez