kern.randompid sysctl value

Jordi Espasa Clofent

Feb 2, 2010, 6:09:50 AM2/2/10
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
HI,

1. �What's the real value (in terms of security) of the random PIDs feature?

According to this book

http://books.google.es/books?id=gqKwaHmXp4YC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=random+pids+security&source=bl&ots=jimAeOQK2Q&sig=WrsBiMAxU-lUCM3pdCjtIYfmiIo&hl=es&ei=OwVoS4nwGMeOjAek5ZCvCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCsQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=random%20pids%20security&f=false

I understand that the random PIDs wil be a good security measure against
some exploits (books says "race conditions"). OpenBSD folks (focused on
security) have the random PIDs by defaul, so

�why Freebsd don't use it by default?

2. �What will be a real secure value for sysctl parameter? I mean
'kern.randompid' isn't a boolean, but a large number which determines
the numeric range to generate de random PIDs. �1000, 10000, 100000?

Thanks in advance for aclarations.

PD. I've real this old post
http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-security&m=99495048923300&w=2. Interesting.

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

Xin LI

Feb 2, 2010, 1:34:01 PM2/2/10
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org