Re: conf/144213: [rc.d] [patch] Disappearing zvols on reboot

lin...@freebsd.org

Feb 22, 2010, 4:38:50 PM2/22/10
to lin...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org, freeb...@freebsd.org
Old Synopsis: Disappearing zvols on reboot
New Synopsis: [rc.d] [patch] Disappearing zvols on reboot

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->freebsd-rc
Responsible-Changed-By: linimon
Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Feb 22 21:38:23 UTC 2010
Responsible-Changed-Why:
Over to maintainer(s).

Doug Barton

Feb 22, 2010, 10:52:43 PM2/22/10
to freeb...@freebsd.org, freeb...@freebsd.org, Ruben van Staveren
I don't see any problem with this change from an rc.d standpoint, but I
don't know anything about zfs. Comments and/or suggestions welcome.

Doug

jhell

Feb 23, 2010, 8:00:47 AM2/23/10
to Doug Barton, FreeBSD Filesystems, freeb...@freebsd.org, Ruben van Staveren

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:52, dougb@ wrote:
> I don't see any problem with this change from an rc.d standpoint, but I
> don't know anything about zfs. Comments and/or suggestions welcome.
>

> Doug
>

> On 02/22/10 13:38, lin...@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>> Old Synopsis: Disappearing zvols on reboot
>> New Synopsis: [rc.d] [patch] Disappearing zvols on reboot
>>
>> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->freebsd-rc
>> Responsible-Changed-By: linimon
>> Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Feb 22 21:38:23 UTC 2010
>> Responsible-Changed-Why:
>> Over to maintainer(s).
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=144213

This is a good catch. I believe it would probably be best suited to be
1). above mount -a or 2). at the very least above share -a. Other then
that non-zfs-root systems should not see a negative difference.

Regards,

--

jhell

Ruben van Staveren

Feb 23, 2010, 10:40:07 AM2/23/10
to jhell, FreeBSD Filesystems, Doug Barton, freeb...@freebsd.org

Best would be 2). mounting is only for filesystems, not volumes and when iscsi target mode is supported in freebsd (and zfs) you definitely want your zvols to be available prior to sharing them.

> Regards,
>
> --
>
> jhell

Regards,
Ruben

jhell

Feb 23, 2010, 9:08:34 PM2/23/10
to Doug Barton, FreeBSD Filesystems, freeb...@freebsd.org, Ruben van Staveren

I take this back. It appears that stable/7 already has this. "above mount
-a and share -a.

--

jhell