Re: conf/145530: ntpdate rc needs wpa_supplicant to go online

1 view

Garrett Cooper

Apr 9, 2010, 1:50:04 AM4/9/10
to freeb...@freebsd.org
The following reply was made to PR conf/145530; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garrett Cooper <yane...@gmail.com>
To: Piotr Smyrak <sm...@heron.pl>
Cc: freebsd-gn...@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: conf/145530: ntpdate rc needs wpa_supplicant to go online
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 22:37:44 -0700

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Piotr Smyrak <sm...@heron.pl> wrote:

>>Number: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 145530
>>Category: =A0 =A0 =A0 conf
>>Synopsis: =A0 =A0 =A0 ntpdate rc needs wpa_supplicant to go online
>>Confidential: =A0 no
>>Severity: =A0 =A0 =A0 non-critical
> Since I started to use wifi card with wpa_supplicant after upgrading to 8=
-STABLE on every boot ntpdate rc will fail to sync with time server, since =
it is run before wpa_supplicant does its work.

> See this thread:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D7277
>
> $ rcorder /etc/rc.d/*|grep -nE 'ntpdate|wpa'
> 68:/etc/rc.d/ntpdate
> 77:/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant
>
>>How-To-Repeat:
> 1. disconnect any wired NIC
> 2. setup wifi to be configured via wpa_supplicant
> 3. set ntpdate_enable in rc.conf
> 4. reboot
>>Fix:
> Add wpa_supplicant to REQUIREs in ntpdate

This is actually a requirement for all network connectivity, not
just ntpdate.
Thanks for the report :),
-Garrett

Doug Barton

Apr 9, 2010, 2:04:28 AM4/9/10
to Garrett Cooper, freeb...@freebsd.org
On 04/08/10 22:50, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> This is actually a requirement for all network connectivity, not
> just ntpdate.

rc.d/wpa_supplicant is one of those weird scripts that shouldn't
actually be in /etc/rc.d, it's only called by other stuff. It's called
in netif, which is already required by NETWORKING.

Doug

-- Propellerheads

a domain name makeover! http://SupersetSolutions.com/