port net/acx100 for usr5410 pcmcia wireless FBSD 6.3

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Anton Shterenlikht

unread,
Feb 19, 2008, 9:22:54 AM2/19/08
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, leoz...@gmail.com
I tried to contact the port maintainer, but haven't heard anything back.

I'd like to use US Robotics usr5410 wireless pcmcia card on my FBSD 6.3
laptop. I understand this card is (was?) supported by port net/acx100.
However, the net/acx100/Makefile has:

BROKEN= Does not compile on FreeBSD >= 6.x

In addition the port maintainer's website, dev.kewl.org, states that
acx100 is obsolete, and was replaced by acx100+111. However, there
is no FBSD port for acx100+111.

Is anybody using net/acx100? On what version of FBSD?

Is anybody using acx100+111? What is the best way to install it?

Is anybody using usr5410? With what driver? And what version of FBSD?

Any other advice on getting usr5410 working on FBSD 6.3?

many thanks
anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building
Mech Eng Dept
Bristol University
University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8233
Fax: +44 (0)117 929 4423

Kemian Dang

unread,
Feb 20, 2008, 7:21:22 AM2/20/08
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, leoz...@gmail.com
Try ndis, it works for my broadcom wireless adapter.

Kemian

> _______________________________________________
> freebsd-...@freebsd.org mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org"
>

Anton Shterenlikht

unread,
Feb 20, 2008, 10:49:01 AM2/20/08
to Kemian Dang, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
> On 19/02/2008, Anton Shterenlikht <me...@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I tried to contact the port maintainer, but haven't heard anything back.
> >
> > I'd like to use US Robotics usr5410 wireless pcmcia card on my FBSD 6.3
> > laptop. I understand this card is (was?) supported by port net/acx100.
> > However, the net/acx100/Makefile has:
> >
> > BROKEN= Does not compile on FreeBSD >= 6.x
> >
> > In addition the port maintainer's website, dev.kewl.org, states that
> > acx100 is obsolete, and was replaced by acx100+111. However, there
> > is no FBSD port for acx100+111.
> >
> > Is anybody using net/acx100? On what version of FBSD?
> >
> > Is anybody using acx100+111? What is the best way to install it?
> >
> > Is anybody using usr5410? With what driver? And what version of FBSD?
> >
> > Any other advice on getting usr5410 working on FBSD 6.3?
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:21:22PM +0000, Kemian Dang wrote:
> Try ndis, it works for my broadcom wireless adapter.

I added ndis to the kernel and built the kernel module using
http://www.linuxant.com/usr11gv40q.zip driver.

However, when I load the module:

# kldstat -vn usr*
Id Refs Address Size Name
2 1 0xc216c000 3d000 usr11g_sys.ko
Contains modules:
Id Name
180 pci/usr11g_sys
181 cardbus/usr11g_sys
182 pccard/usr11g_sys
183 uhub/usr11g_sys
#

I get errors. From dmesg:

cardbus1: Expecting link target, got 0xed
cardbus1: Resource not specified in CIS: id=10, size=2000
cardbus1: Resource not specified in CIS: id=14, size=20000
ndis0: <U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless Turbo Adapter> mem 0x88020000-0x88021fff,0x88000000-0x8801ffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus1
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
ndis0: init handler failed
device_attach: ndis0 attach returned 6


What am I doing wrong?

Kemian Dang

unread,
Feb 20, 2008, 11:39:22 AM2/20/08
to Kemian Dang, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Try add it to the /boot/loader.conf and restart to see whether it works.
My ndis0 can not get response from "ifconfig ndis0 scan", but I can
give it the ssid manually and make it work.

kemian

Anton Shterenlikht

unread,
Feb 21, 2008, 12:11:06 PM2/21/08
to Kemian Dang, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
> > > > On 19/02/2008, Anton Shterenlikht <me...@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > > Is anybody using usr5410? With what driver? And what version of FBSD?
> > > >
> > > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:21:22PM +0000, Kemian Dang wrote:
> > > Try ndis, it works for my broadcom wireless adapter.
> >
> > On 20/02/2008, Anton Shterenlikht <me...@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I added ndis to the kernel and built the kernel module using
> > http://www.linuxant.com/usr11gv40q.zip driver.
> >
> > However, when I load the module:
> > I get errors. From dmesg:
> >
> > cardbus1: Expecting link target, got 0xed
> > cardbus1: Resource not specified in CIS: id=10, size=2000
> > cardbus1: Resource not specified in CIS: id=14, size=20000
> > ndis0: <U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless Turbo Adapter> mem 0x88020000-0x88021fff,0x88000000-0x8801ffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus1
> > ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
> > ndis0: init handler failed
> > device_attach: ndis0 attach returned 6
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 04:39:22PM +0000, Kemian Dang wrote:
> Try add it to the /boot/loader.conf and restart to see whether it works.
> My ndis0 can not get response from "ifconfig ndis0 scan", but I can
> give it the ssid manually and make it work.

thanks, it seems to be detected now, from dmesg:

cardbus1: Expecting link target, got 0xfd


cardbus1: Resource not specified in CIS: id=10, size=2000
cardbus1: Resource not specified in CIS: id=14, size=20000
ndis0: <U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless Turbo Adapter> mem 0x88020000-0x88021fff,
0x88000000-0x8801ffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus1
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1

ndis0: Ethernet address: 00:c0:49:a9:22:59

I still cannot connect to the wireless network, but this
is probably another problem..

# ifconfig ndis0 up scan
SSID BSSID CHAN RATE S:N INT CAPS
UoB-Wireless 00:16:c7:71:9d:63 1 52M 18:0 100 E
#

# tail /etc/rc.conf
ifconfig_ndis0="DHCP"

# /etc/rc.d/netif start
ndis0: no link .............. giving up
ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:c0:49:a9:22:59
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
status: no carrier
ssid "" channel 1
authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 100 bmiss 7
#

I also tried

# ifconfig ndis0 ssid UoB-Wireless

but that didn't help.

I'll try to update the driver version from 4.0q to 6.0b15, but
the latter is not working fine yet. I think it is because I mixed
different versions of inf, sys and firmware.

many thanks
anton

Kemian Dang

unread,
Feb 21, 2008, 1:34:11 PM2/21/08
to Kemian Dang, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Is your wireless network a non-authentication one, if it is wpa, wep,
you may want to try follow the handbook[1].

I am not using rc.conf to start my wireless, but I think give the ssid
in rc.conf may help, because there may be more wireless network in
your area if it is a non-authentication one.
ifconfig_ath0="ssid your_ssid_here DHCP"

After you give the ssid, what the ifconfig output?
Does the status change to associate?
If yes, you can try:
#dhclient ndis0
to get the ip from DHCP.

Kemian
[1]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages