Removal of RC_SUBR and RC_SUBR_SUFFIX

Doug Barton

Mar 28, 2010, 2:41:15 AM3/28/10
to freebs...@freebsd.org

Doug Barton

Mar 28, 2010, 6:35:25 PM3/28/10
to freebs...@freebsd.org

Christian Weisgerber

Mar 29, 2010, 11:15:40 AM3/29/10
to freebs...@freebsd.org
Doug Barton <do...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> As should be obvious by now I'm following through on my previously
> stated plans to remove the no longer necessary %%RC_SUBR%% and
> %%RC_SUBR_SUFFIX%% from the ports tree.

Does it still make sense to use

rcvar=`set_rcvar`

as recommended by rc.subr(8) or should we just use

rcvar=${name}_enable

as shown in the Porter's Handbook example?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Doug Barton

Apr 11, 2010, 11:25:06 PM4/11/10
to Christian Weisgerber, freebs...@freebsd.org
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Doug Barton <do...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> As should be obvious by now I'm following through on my previously
>> stated plans to remove the no longer necessary %%RC_SUBR%% and
>> %%RC_SUBR_SUFFIX%% from the ports tree.
>
> Does it still make sense to use
>
> rcvar=`set_rcvar`
>
> as recommended by rc.subr(8) or should we just use
>
> rcvar=${name}_enable
>
> as shown in the Porter's Handbook example?

Either one is fine. I've always regarded set_rcvar as a little bit too
much abstraction, but that doesn't mean it's "wrong" to use it.

Doug

a domain name makeover! http://SupersetSolutions.com/

-- Pablo Picasso