Problems under test of IPv6 Ready Logo Program Phase-2

chenxiaochen

Oct 18, 2006, 11:08:57 PM10/18/06
to freebsd-net, liangbing
Dear all,
This is my second letter here, I am beginning to love here for there are many kindly friends, such as SUZUKI Shinsuke<s...@freebsd.org> :)
Ok,questions follows...
Does someone do research on IPv6 Ready Logo Program? Now I am doing IPv6 conformance test under TAHI platform and I meet some problems.

My test setup is below:
-+-----------------------+- Link1
| |
| |
|rl0 | rl1
TN NUT
|bge0 | rl0
| |
| |
-+-----------------------+- Link0
TN:IBM desktop PC,OS is FreeBSD6.1;
NUT:IBM desktop PC,OS is FreeBSD6.1
--- rl0,rl1,bge0 stand for the NICs of TN and NUT.
My test software is v6eval-3.0.10 and package are Self_Test_1-4-2 and v6eval-remotes-3.0.

1. Section 5: RFC 2463 - ICMPv6
"case 11 Part B: Multicast Destination" --- fail
After TN send Echo Request to global multicast address(ff1e::1:2), the following words appear on NUT's screen-----rl1:discard oversize frame (ether type 86dd flags 3 len 1514 > max 1294 )
However, "case 10 Part A: Unicast Destination" passes.

2. Section 2: RFC 2461 - Neighbor Discovery for IPv6
"127 Part C: Sending Unsolicited RA (Min Values)" --- fail
After NUT excutes rtadvd, TN says "Could't observe RA".
The corresponding rtadvd.conf is
default:\
:maxinterval#4:\
:mininterval#3:\
:chlim#0:\
:rltime#0:\
:rtime#0:\
:retrans#0:\
:vltime#0:\
:pltime#0:
ether:\
:mtu#0:tc=default:
rl0:\
:tc=ether:
But when I use Ethereal to capture the IP package, I get RA about 6 seconds later after rtadvd is excuted.
The captured RA's parameters are:
cur hop limit--64
router lifetime--1800
reachable tiem--0
retrans time--0
valid lifetime--0x00278d00
preferred lifetime--0x00093a80

3. Section 3: RFC 2462 - IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
All cases fail
Reason----TN can't observe DAD process.
I can't capture DAD packages by Ethereal in the network start process.

But I can get DAD packages on IBM T43(NIC is bge0, OS is FreeBSD 6.1) and T30(NIC is fxp0, OS is FreeBSD 5.4) when the network start( host test).
Someone ever told me that --- "there is a bug in FreeBSD's kernel which prevents DAD being sent. You have to force ethernet card into any mode rather than auto-select before it is activated, by modifying rc.network"
As if rc.network has been change to netstart in FreeBSD 6.1. But I don't know how to modify it.

I am eager to get some suggestions about the problems above. Your reply will be my biggest joy:)

By the way, these is a bug I found about IPv6 Ready Logo Program Phase-2 auotmatic test. Hope this informaiton below will be useful to you.

1.install v6eval-remotes-3.0
2.# cd /usr/local/v6eval/bin/freebsd-i386/
3.# ee racontrol.rmt
line 288
"\t:rtime#$rOpt_retrans:" should be changed into "\t:retrans#$rOpt_retrans:"

Well, good luck to evryone, thank you very much!

Best Regards!
Chen Xiaochen
--------------
chenxi...@emcite.com
2006-10-18

g...@freebsd.org

Oct 18, 2006, 6:52:48 PM10/18/06
to chenxiaochen, freebsd-net, liangbing
At Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:08:57 -0800,

chenxiaochen wrote:

> Dear all, This is my second letter here, I am beginning to love here
> for there are many kindly friends, such as SUZUKI
> Shinsuke<s...@freebsd.org> :) Ok,questions follows... Does someone
> do research on IPv6 Ready Logo Program? Now I am doing IPv6
> conformance test under TAHI platform and I meet some problems.

Though some of us are using TAHI I do not believe the project itself
is going for the Logo Program.

I am working on IPv6 and IPSec and using TAHI regularly.

> My test setup is below:
> -+-----------------------+- Link1
> | |
> | |
> |rl0 | rl1
> TN NUT
> |bge0 | rl0
> | |
> | |
> -+-----------------------+- Link0
> TN:IBM desktop PC,OS is FreeBSD6.1;
> NUT:IBM desktop PC,OS is FreeBSD6.1
> --- rl0,rl1,bge0 stand for the NICs of TN and NUT.
> My test software is v6eval-3.0.10 and package are Self_Test_1-4-2 and v6eval-remotes-3.0.
>
> 1. Section 5: RFC 2463 - ICMPv6
> "case 11 Part B: Multicast Destination" --- fail
> After TN send Echo Request to global multicast address(ff1e::1:2), the following words appear on NUT's screen-----rl1:discard oversize frame (ether type 86dd flags 3 len 1514 > max 1294 )
> However, "case 10 Part A: Unicast Destination" passes.
>
> 2. Section 2: RFC 2461 - Neighbor Discovery for IPv6
> "127 Part C: Sending Unsolicited RA (Min Values)" --- fail
> After NUT excutes rtadvd, TN says "Could't observe RA".
> The corresponding rtadvd.conf is

I don't believe that you need to run your own RA. TAHI is usually
self contained.

> But when I use Ethereal to capture the IP package, I get RA about 6 seconds later after rtadvd is excuted.
> The captured RA's parameters are:
> cur hop limit--64
> router lifetime--1800
> reachable tiem--0
> retrans time--0
> valid lifetime--0x00278d00
> preferred lifetime--0x00093a80

You shoudl check if this "just works" without the RA.

> 3. Section 3: RFC 2462 - IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
> All cases fail
> Reason----TN can't observe DAD process.
> I can't capture DAD packages by Ethereal in the network start process.
>
> But I can get DAD packages on IBM T43(NIC is bge0, OS is FreeBSD
> 6.1) and T30(NIC is fxp0, OS is FreeBSD 5.4) when the network
> start( host test). Someone ever told me that --- "there is a bug
> in FreeBSD's kernel which prevents DAD being sent. You have to
> force ethernet card into any mode rather than auto-select before
> it is activated, by modifying rc.network" As if rc.network has
> been change to netstart in FreeBSD 6.1. But I don't know how to
> modify it.

I have not heard of this and don't have that hardware so can't check
it.

> By the way, these is a bug I found about IPv6 Ready Logo Program
> Phase-2 auotmatic test. Hope this informaiton below will be useful
> to you.
>
> 1.install v6eval-remotes-3.0
> 2.# cd /usr/local/v6eval/bin/freebsd-i386/
> 3.# ee racontrol.rmt
> line 288
> "\t:rtime#$rOpt_retrans:" should be changed into "\t:retrans#$rOpt_retrans:"

Best,
George

Max Laier

Oct 18, 2006, 8:53:15 PM10/18/06
to freeb...@freebsd.org, g...@freebsd.org, chenxiaochen, liangbing

/me too.

What's your setting for the net.inet6.ip6.dad_count sysctl? I know for a
fact that FreeBSD does send out DAD as it has been killing me in MIP6
simulations.

I just tested with a recent 6.2-pre and it does too send out DAD packets
and prevents me from configureing a duplicate on an interface
yelling: "bge0: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address ..." This is a X41
bge0 vs. an fxp0 onboard a tyan mobo, btw.

Does manual address configuration yield DAD packets?

--
/"\ Best regards, | mla...@freebsd.org
\ / Max Laier | ICQ #67774661

SUZUKI Shinsuke

Oct 19, 2006, 12:02:08 AM10/19/06
to chenxi...@emcite.com, g...@freebsd.org, freeb...@freebsd.org, lian...@emcite.com
Hello,

Here's my comment based on my IPv6Ready Logo(Ph.2) work in KAME
Project.

> Though some of us are using TAHI I do not believe the project itself
> is going for the Logo Program.

TAHI Project is one of the major member of the Logo program.
(TAHI provides a automatic testing tool for the Logo program)
Please see the following pages for further detail.
http://www.ipv6ready.org/about_logo_program.html

> > 1. Section 5: RFC 2463 - ICMPv6
> > "case 11 Part B: Multicast Destination" --- fail
> > After TN send Echo Request to global multicast
> > address(ff1e::1:2), the following words appear on NUT's
> > screen-----rl1:discard oversize frame (ether type 86dd flags 3
> > len 1514 > max 1294 )
> > However, "case 10 Part A: Unicast Destination" passes.

Judging from the above message and the source code, it seems like
you've configured rl1's MTU as 1280 and send a 1500-byte packet on
rl1. You should send the packet on rl0 (where its MTU is 1500).

> > 2. Section 2: RFC 2461 - Neighbor Discovery for IPv6
> > "127 Part C: Sending Unsolicited RA (Min Values)" --- fail
> > After NUT excutes rtadvd, TN says "Could't observe RA".

#This is a test item to see the interval of the RA messages. So NUT
#must run rtadvd (by hand or automatic operation by TAHI-tool)

This message appears even when TN receives an RA (with an unexpected
parameter). You should carefully check the log of the self-test tool
to see what is an unexpected parameter.

> > 3. Section 3: RFC 2462 - IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
> > All cases fail
> > Reason----TN can't observe DAD process.
> > I can't capture DAD packages by Ethereal in the network start process.

(snip)

> I have not heard of this and don't have that hardware so can't check it.

I've encountered the same phenomenon sometimes.

It seems like there's a short amount of time where IFF_UP bit changes
from off to on, but the hardware is not ready to send a packet.
(appears like an ethernet auto-negotiation has not been completely
finished)

Since DAD process is kicked just after link-local address
configuration (normally when IFF_UP bit changes from OFF to ON), it is
inevitable in such drivers.

My recommendation is either of the following two.
(only to pass the IPv6-Ready Logo testing)
- set net.inet6.ip6.auto_linklocal to 0
- manually configures a link-local address after the auto-negotiation
has been completely finished
or
- disable auto-negotiation
or
(to make all the freebsd users happy:-))
- hack the device driver to make IFF_UP on after the hardware is
ready to send a packet

Thanks,
----
SUZUKI, Shinsuke @ KAME Project

SUZUKI Shinsuke

Oct 26, 2006, 12:50:41 AM10/26/06
to chenxi...@emcite.com, g...@freebsd.org, freeb...@freebsd.org
Hi,

> > > 1. Section 5: RFC 2463 - ICMPv6

(snip)
> In my opinion, rl1 should discard the packet and send a ICMP
> packet-too-big message.But only discard ...

That's not correct. ICMP packet-too-big is sent back to the source,
when a router detects that the outgoing interface's MTU is too small.
(please see RFC4443 3.2 Description)

> > > 2. Section 2: RFC 2461 - Neighbor Discovery for IPv6

(snip)
> I wander I set the vltime and pltime into fixed value mode by my configuration.
> Would you pleas have a look of my steps?
> --------------------------------
> default:\
> pim6dd.core :maxinterval#4:\
> pim6dd.core :mininterval#3:\
> pim6dd.core :chlim#0:\
> pim6dd.core :rltime#0:\
> pim6dd.core :rtime#0:\
> pim6dd.core :rtime#0:\
> pim6dd.core :vltime#0:\
> pim6dd.core :pltime#0:
>
> ether:\
> pim6dd.core :mtu#0:tc=default:
>
> rl0:\
> pim6dd.core :tc=ether:
> ---------------------------------

You have to specify prefix and prefix-length in the configuration, in
addition to vltime and pltime. (please see man rtadvd.conf)

> > > 3. Section 3: RFC 2462 - IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration

(snip)
> ---In my opinion, the way to disable auto-negotiation is to use
> "ifconfig" or modify rc.conf. The latter can keep the change after
> reboot. However, no DAD appear after I disable auto-negotiation. I
> wander whether the way is wrong.

I think you have to explicitly specify a link-local address, since
net.inet6.ip6.auto_linklocal is set to 0. (as far as I see from your
rc.conf, there's no such description)

aditya0...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2014, 6:09:08 AM3/10/14
Dear All,

I am confused about IPv6 ready logo core protocol test setup.
My confusion is in diagram topology: -
1.Does Link B mean switch ?
2.Are LINK B towards TN2 and TN3 WAN side ?
3.How and where TAHI(self test tool) is fit in this topology ?

Thanks in Advance .