Re: ZFS raidz and 4k sector disks

Alexey Tarasov

Apr 9, 2010, 7:14:07 AM4/9/10
to Andriy Gapon, freebsd...@freebsd.org, Alexey Tarasov
Hello.

I see considerably increased performance when creating over gnop -S 4096 virtual disk. Even when I create zpool over raw disks the performance is very bad and concurent writes stalls. When using gnop, zfs works VERY fast!

Btw, here is another discussion, may be there is a bug in a mav@ commit, because he has added support for >512 sector size:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-April/016495.html

Превед Украине! =)

--
Alexey Tarasov

(\__/)
(='.'=)
E[: | | | | :]З
(")_(")

Andriy Gapon

Apr 9, 2010, 8:14:38 AM4/9/10
to Alexey Tarasov, freebsd...@freebsd.org
on 09/04/2010 14:14 Alexey Tarasov said the following:
> Hello.
>
> I see considerably increased performance when creating over gnop -S 4096 virtual disk. Even when I create zpool over raw disks the performance is very bad and concurent writes stalls. When using gnop, zfs works VERY fast!
>
> Btw, here is another discussion, may be there is a bug in a mav@ commit, because he has added support for >512 sector size:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-April/016495.html

Looks like I was wrong:
/*
* Determine the device's minimum transfer size.
*/
*ashift = highbit(MAX(pp->sectorsize, SPA_MINBLOCKSIZE)) - 1;

This is in vdev_geom_open and SPA_MINBLOCKSIZE is 512.

--
Andriy Gapon