Samba problems on 8.0-RC2

Jon Theil Nielsen

Nov 8, 2009, 8:55:49 AM11/8/09
to freebsd...@freebsd.org
Hi

After running the latest upgrade for samba33, I cannot start it anymore. The
error message is:
*Starting smbd.
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/sbin/smbd: invalid PT_PHDR
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba: WARNING: failed to start smbd*
uname -a says:
*mflserver2.mydomain.dk 8.0-RC2 FreeBSD 8.0-RC2 #0: Sun Nov 8 02:37:45 CET
2009 ro...@mydomain.dk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERVER2 i386*
I'm not sure if this problem is related to the system or to samba itself.

Best regards
Jon Theil Nielsen

Kostik Belousov

Nov 8, 2009, 9:33:48 AM11/8/09
to Jon Theil Nielsen, freebsd...@freebsd.org

I think you have old rtld, i.e. it misses r197931, but new kernel.
Kernel maps PIE binaries at non-zero base address, that cannot be
properly handled by old rtld.

Timur I. Bakeyev

Nov 8, 2009, 5:36:56 PM11/8/09
to Kostik Belousov, freebsd...@freebsd.org, Jon Theil Nielsen
Kostik,

do I understand you correctly, that your patch in back-merged into the
8-STABLE and will be present in the final released version of FreeBSD
8?

With regards,
Timur.

John Marshall

Nov 8, 2009, 6:30:53 PM11/8/09
to Jon Theil Nielsen, Kostik Belousov, freebsd...@freebsd.org

I have been running Samba 3.3.n on 8.0/i386 all the way through from
-BETA1 to -RC2 with no problems. After seeing your post I upgraded
Samba to 3.3.9 and everything still works.

I think Kostik is suggesting that perhaps you missed an installworld and
your world and kernel are out of synch.

--
John Marshall

Kostik Belousov

Nov 9, 2009, 7:00:54 AM11/9/09
to Timur I. Bakeyev, freebsd...@freebsd.org, Jon Theil Nielsen
On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 11:36:56PM +0100, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:
> Kostik,
>
> do I understand you correctly, that your patch in back-merged into the
> 8-STABLE and will be present in the final released version of FreeBSD
> 8?
FreeBSD 8.0, yes. It is in 8.0 RC2 already.

pluknet

Apr 6, 2010, 4:37:11 AM4/6/10
to Kostik Belousov, freebsd...@freebsd.org

Hi. I faced this problem today on 7.3 kernel & 7.2 world.
quagga refused to start bgpd with error:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/sbin/bgpd: invalid PT_PHDR.
Issue fixed after cp'ing /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 from 7.3 world.

So I think the next entry probably needs to be (belatedly) added to
7'th UPDATING
and/or errata as (as far as I know) that brakes "newer kernel usually works with
older world" users expectation.

20100119:
PIE support has been improved. Kernel maps PIE binaries at non-zero
base address. Users need to rebuild rtld(1) to hook up with a new
kernel.

--
wbr,
pluknet