Re: ports and PBIs

Bruce Simpson

Apr 10, 2010, 10:18:59 AM4/10/10
to freebsd...@freebsd.org
On 04/10/10 02:31, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein , Matt at ix systems Kris (Mr PBI), some
> others and I, felt that these ideas seemed to make some sense
> and so I put them here for comment.

Please do. Someone has to do something about deployment.

For what it's worth, I've tripped over the garden rake on the ground,
that is 'unsatisfied dependency' one too many times in commercial work.

If PBIs can address this, even for FreeBSD's embedded and server use
cases, they will likely be well recieved.

Julian Elischer

Apr 10, 2010, 1:18:14 PM4/10/10
to freebsd...@freebsd.org

though the embedded people would be EXACTLY the people who would NOT
use this new feature.

Robert Noland

Apr 11, 2010, 12:59:34 AM4/11/10
to Bruce Simpson, freebsd...@freebsd.org

If I understood the PBI construct correctly... How is this really that
different than just producing static binaries? I mean, as I understood
it, your bundling the binary and all of it's required libraries into a
private directory tree and then playing linker games.

robert.

Robert Noland <rno...@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD

Matthew Seaman