Where are we, what do we need to do next?

Ciaran Roarty

Dec 21, 2010, 9:17:23 AM12/21/10
to lucer...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Are we at the stage that we can now implement interfaces?

I hope to get time to work on this more over the Christmas period - looks like the Thanksgiving weekend laid an almost fatal blow to the project so I'd like to get it started again.

I thought I'd finish the Document unit tests and then try and port Document and Field ( and whatever else was needed to make those unit tests really work).

Troy Howard

Dec 22, 2010, 1:35:55 PM12/22/10
to lucer...@googlegroups.com
Ciaran,

Thanks for keeping up with this.

Yeah, Thanksgiving put the brakes on a little, combined with all the
other holiday festivities and, at least for myself (and others at my
company) some workplace priorities had to supersede Lucere for a bit.

We're still on track, and very close to the end of the first phase of
development. There are still some unimplemented interfaces and unit
tests which need to be converted.

I'll go through the current rev and post an updated list of outstanding tasks.

Thanks,
Troy

Troy Howard

Dec 23, 2010, 2:22:27 AM12/23/10
to lucer...@googlegroups.com
All,

I spent a little time looking over the wiki pages for the class mappings:

http://lucere.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Class%20and%20Namespace%20Mapping

There are still a lot of interfaces that need to be ported.
Specifically the analysis and index namespace have a lot left to do.

There are also some instances in which the wiki page hasn't been
updated to reflect what has actually been completed. In those cases,
there are some instances where something was marked as "In Progress"
but was actually completed, and others where someone has marked
something as "In Progress" but has not committed code for it yet.

Could everyone please review the wiki pages and update things to be accurate.

Specifically:

- If you claimed something, and completed it, please mark it as complete.
- If you claimed something, and found that you won't be able to
complete it quickly (no time, not sure how to port, etc), please
commit any work you have done, and mark the items as either "Complete"
(if the item is finished), "Incomplete" (if there's a partial port) or
"Unassigned" (if you haven't started on it).

There is also a lot of work to be done in the unit tests. We currently
have far more interfaces than we have unit tests to cover them.

Thanks,
Troy

Hakeem Mohammed

Jan 4, 2011, 8:12:48 PM1/4/11
to lucer...@googlegroups.com
Hope everyone had a great holiday. I'm almost through the LINA book and now know much more about Lucene than when I did when I joined the project. I guess I signed up with the thought that this project would just use the concepts behind Java Lucene and the code would be for the most part , a pure .NET approach and that would be where I could bring my .NET skills to the table. But, I see that there has been a lot of activity in the Lucene.NET community itself and thought I saw a comment about merging this project with the Lucene.NET effort. So, just wondering if that meant this project will get canned or if they both would be active. If it is the latter, how would this be different from the main project as they are also talking of having an idiomatic .NET API

If this project gets is discontinued, then perhaps this group can work on a .NET version of Solr. For starters, I already came up with a name for it, Lunr ;)

Thanks!

Prescott Nasser

Jan 5, 2011, 1:38:19 AM1/5/11
to lucer...@googlegroups.com
I think the Lucene project being thrown back into flux by the ASF is giving us a chance to modify the project. Lucene.Net was held back by it's original intent to be a line by line port and the disappearance of it's committers.

Since Troy is leading the charge for a new proposal, I think it's clear that Lucere will be folded back into the Lucene.Net. However, I wouldn't get discouraged, the new proposal has two pieces to it. The first part is maintaining a line by line port of the Lucene Java version. The community will work extremely hard to make sure this is automated. With the line by line conversion as automated as possible and once that is in place, it's clear we as a community want a more .NET version and we will work on a branch that has that. I think your .Net knowledge would continue to be useful.

As part of a larger effort, I think things like a .Net Solr are extremely important to broaden the Lucene.Net community - so if you want to go in that direction, I think you'd have huge support.

~Prescott Nasser

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 20:12:48 -0500
Subject: Re: [lucere-dev] Where are we, what do we need to do next?
From: hakee...@gmail.com