Small bug with Task Manager (v2.0.0beta-4)

Tim Vargo

Jul 1, 2013, 3:38:51 PM7/1/13
to lua...@googlegroups.com
Under LabVIEW 2011/SP1 (v11.0.1f1), launching the LuaVIEW Task Manager from the menu { Tools > LuaVIEW Toolkit > Task Manager } is problematic.  The other three tools on that same menu launch just fine, but Task Manager comes up in a funky state.  The UI does display, no error messages are presented, but any attempt to interact with the Task Manager window, or ANY other LabVIEW window at all, yields only a beep (the Windows "Default Beep" sound) when clicked upon.  I have verified that there are no hidden dialog boxes, and there at first appears to be no way to regain focus; however hitting the escape key (Esc) will recover to a normal state, the LuaVIEW Task Manager then functions as usual, and all LabVIEW windows can once again be interacted with as expected.

I have reproduced this behavior several times, including on a different machine (also Windows 7/SP1, LabVIEW 2011/SP1 (v11.0.1f1), and LuaVIEW v2.0.0beta-4).  Additionally, I have developed my own small VI that does little more than just launch these LuaVIEW tools, and the result is the same -- Task Manager enters the funky state as described above, but the other tools launch just fine.

Tim Vargo

Jul 3, 2013, 5:43:37 PM7/3/13
to lua...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE -- this same behavior (attempting to interact with ANY LabVIEW window at all, yields only a beep (the Windows "Default Beep" sound) when clicked upon) can also be produced from a completely different scenario.  These same symptoms are also occurring as LuaVIEW VIs are dropped onto a block diagram; either by dropping them from the LuaVIEW palette, or by drag-n-drop from Windows Explorer.  This is confirmed on two different machines running LabVIEW 2011/SP1 (v11.0.1f1), and on one machine using LabVIEW 2012/SP1 (all 32-bit LV on Windows 7/SP1, 64-bit).

Rolf Kalbermatter

Jul 10, 2013, 9:22:12 AM7/10/13
to lua...@googlegroups.com

Op woensdag 3 juli 2013 23:43:37 UTC+2 schreef Tim Vargo het volgende:
UPDATE -- this same behavior (attempting to interact with ANY LabVIEW window at all, yields only a beep (the Windows "Default Beep" sound) when clicked upon) can also be produced from a completely different scenario.  These same symptoms are also occurring as LuaVIEW VIs are dropped onto a block diagram; either by dropping them from the LuaVIEW palette, or by drag-n-drop from Windows Explorer.  This is confirmed on two different machines running LabVIEW 2011/SP1 (v11.0.1f1), and on one machine using LabVIEW 2012/SP1 (all 32-bit LV on Windows 7/SP1, 64-bit).

Tim all the issues you report are related to the expiration of the beta trial and a problem in newer LabVIEW versions with the way this expiration was attempted to be communicated to the user. A new version is in preparation with a fix for this as well as a few minor improvements in other areas. It should be released within a day or two and available on your servers for download.

Sincerely

Rolf Kalbermatter

TimV

Jul 12, 2013, 8:58:43 AM7/12/13
to lua...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rolf. What frustrates me the most about this is that a few weeks ago I did see deeply buried evidence that an expiration had elapsed, but I neglected to follow up on that clue and then soon forgot about it. Had I followed up, I may have saved myself many hours of trying to track down several non-existent problems. :(

As usual, thank you for the help. I look forward to the next beta release, and eventually final release.