Lua 5.4.7-rc4 and llglicua-0.1-beta(-near-2)... CentOS Stream 9 works!

sur-behoffski

Jun 20, 2024, 6:39:43 AM (13 days ago) Jun 20
to lu...@googlegroups.com
G'day,

Although the Tecgraf IM/CD/IUP sci/tech toolkit is only
documented to run under Ubuntu, I have been able to get it
to run under some Red hat variants (CentOS-7, Rocky 9.3).

Red Hat are very near to ending long-term CentOS-7 support
(end-June-2024?), and has introduced CentOS Stream 8 and
CentOS Stream 9 as the next "holders of the torch".

After some considerable hassle, I've been able to get
CentOS-Stream-9 running under a VM, and then have
gradually worked through incompatibilities to try to get
the full lglicua prepare/download/build/install stages for
Lua, LuaRocks and IM/PDFLib7/ftgl/CD/IUP working. This is
with Lua 5.4.7-rc4.

I'm pleased to report that, with considerable modification
of OS and lglicua components, I was able to get a full
build of all components of the toolkit, and trivial tests
run successfully.

I have not tried CentOS-Stream-8 yet, but do not expect
any significant differences between it and Stream-9.

However, plugging the gaps -- automating the effort that
I've done by hand for this experiment -- is a significant
step, and will not be done quickly. I'll wait for
Lua 5.4.7 to be released, then release lglicua-0.1-beta2,
and then look at my workload after that.