[ANN] igg -- inspect glyph geometry

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo

Jun 29, 2024, 9:10:47 PM (3 days ago) Jun 29
to lu...@googlegroups.com
If you are curious about the shape of font glyphs, try my igg tool for
inspecting glyph geometry at https://github.com/lhf/igg .

igg relies on FreeType to read font files and extract glyph data. The
repository contains a single C file that interfaces with FreeType and
shields clients from its complexities. It also contains a sample Lua
client that outputs PostScript disections of glyphs.

Enjoy! All feedback is welcome.
--lhf

George Georgalis

Jun 29, 2024, 9:41:29 PM (3 days ago) Jun 29
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I would appreciate some representative graphics of what this program shows, and an explanation of the utility of the output before I compile and run the new program. Good fonts are important to me, but that is subjective, I'm not sure why I would use this tool. What is the greatest insight this program has eulicated?

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo

Jun 30, 2024, 6:06:07 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to lu...@googlegroups.com
> I would appreciate some representative graphics of what this program shows, and an explanation of the utility of the output before I compile and run the new program. Good fonts are important to me, but that is subjective, I'm not sure why I would use this tool. What is the greatest insight this program has eulicated?

See
https://web.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/out/out.eps
https://web.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/out/out.pdf

You can see the outline of the glyph, the control points of the
quadratic Bézier curves, the baseline and the bounding box. Edit
ps.lua to select what to show.
No deep insight but educational for the curious. I've had fun looking
at various glyphs for various fonts. I thought I'd share.
--lhf

Diogo Mildenberger

Jul 1, 2024, 10:53:07 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Hello Luiz!

Not directly related to the source code, but in the same subject I watched a well-presented video by Sebastian Lague detailing a process to draw fonts using glyphs, might give some extra ideas:

https://youtu.be/SO83KQuuZvg?si=QU4z51T4L6fpXOwA

Diogo

George Georgalis

Jul 1, 2024, 3:58:55 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the graphics sample, definitely a useful tool for font comparisons,
and evaluation!

I love typography and I've tried using font applications, they are fun like blender.
Once I think I know what I'm doing, then I realize I have no idea what I've gotten into.
I've kinda settled on B612 for proportional and Intel One Mono. Curiously, the
B612 mono is poor, but the Intel One Mono is excellent.

If anyone has tips for getting these into my LiveTex install, gen ai has gotten
me 98% there but not 100%....