Native Lua in Air

Thomas Rieksmeier

Mar 27, 2012, 5:32:38 PM3/27/12
to lua-alchemy-dev
Hello Alexander,

i just saw your latest release of lua-alchemy and i will try it the
next days.

You just gave me your prerelease of 0.3.1 and i tested it and it
worked as expetected.
Many thanks for that.

To give you a bit of a background of what i am doing and my
motivation:

I am creating a client-server architekture for data centric bussiness
services.
So i already have prototypes of server and clients running with java
and iOS.

The core of both (server and client) is implemented in lua and uses
the strength of lua.

I implemented my own domain specific language in a sandboexd lua
implentation.
It works superfast and stable and i can integrate it easyly and quick
in Java an iOS and
any other environment.

On the clientside i have to implement the gui interface and here is
where all the work is and
where Adobe Air could become a dream for me.

Because right now in every new environment (for example java/swing or
iOS) i have to deal
with other concepts, other sdk's etc.

Then some weeks ago i found Adobe Air and in some days i loved it and
i experience it as
easy and straight forward to implement the user-interface.

With lua-alchemy i was able (as allways) to run my unmodified lua code
in Air and get my
client-architecture running in some days.

So far so good.

But performance is the big bottleneck.
It is simply not fast enough, every client-server request takes about
1 second.

Since i have the direkt comparison to my Java/Lua-client, which is
really snappy (about 0.1 seconds per request).

I also tried Air and lua-alchemy with iOS in my iphone and iPad.

This is really unceptably slow ( several seconds per request).

So now i am standing in difficult situation.

I like Adobe Air
I would have to implement my clients only in one environment
I could do this all by my self (with java and iOS and others i need to
hire skills)

As Air runs on many devices (IOS, Android, Browsers, and desktop stand
alone applications)
I would have to implent one solution (more or less) and could deploy
it to all suported plattforms.

So my dream is to do that and that would really make use of the
strength of air and lua.
I can save developpment power and and and ...
It simply is a dream solution for me.

But all this is depending on a fast lua-integration.

So i saw your last release post (0.3.2) and the may be future
possibility with native extentions.
This would make my dream come true.

Or another possibility would be that Adobe integrates lua-native in
Adobe Air.
A friend of mine did this in Jave and iOS for me in some days.

In my opinion this is not a real effort and lua is made for this and
Adobe has done it in ligthroom
so this would be a great step.

So here is my question to you.

Can you please help to get a "real" (and fast) native lua integration
in Adobe Air ?

This would be a very very good step forward, not only for me.
There are lots of people out there who love and know lua and apreciate
a good and fast running integration.

And i would love to implement my solutions only in Adobe Air and
deploy it to all supported plattforms. I am shure i am not the only
one.

Thanks for any comment help or what so ever you can do.
Thomas

Alexander Gladysh

Apr 1, 2012, 5:26:12 AM4/1/12
to lua-alc...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Thomas!

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 01:32, Thomas Rieksmeier
<thomasri...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I am creating a client-server architekture for data centric bussiness
> services.

> The core of both (server and client) is implemented in lua and uses
> the strength of lua.

> But performance is the big bottleneck.

> It is simply not fast enough, every client-server request takes about
> 1 second.

That is strange. Did you try to profile it? Make sure that you do not
cross AS3/Lua border too often — it is very slow.

> Since i have the direkt comparison to my Java/Lua-client, which is
> really snappy (about 0.1 seconds per request).
>
> I also tried Air and lua-alchemy with iOS in my iphone and iPad.
>
> This is really unceptably slow ( several seconds per request).

Slower than in browser, as I expected.

> So i saw your last release post (0.3.2) and the may be future
> possibility with native extentions.
> This would make my dream come true.

> So here is my question to you.

> Can you please help to get a "real" (and fast) native lua integration
> in Adobe Air ?

I could, but, unfortunately, I'm very low on free time nowadays. If
someone will sponsor this, it is doable. Otherwise — I can offer some
advice and answers on the concrete questions that do not require too
much poking around, but, unfortunately, nothing more.

Alexander.