Error: Terminating since out of inotify watches.

Adauto Serpa

Jul 31, 2018, 1:44:11 PM7/31/18
to lsyncd
Hi guys,

One more time I'm here.
Today I tried put into production lsyncd in a much larger directory than I did in my tests. The directory has 217613 files.
the /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches operating system currently is 8192.
I believe that because of this configuration I received the following message:

Tue Jul 31 04:17:30 2018 Error: Terminating since out of inotify watches.
Consider increasing /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

So I increased the value to 524288 and synchronization started.
Does lsyncd have any recommendations for this setting?

Best regard,

Adauto Serpa

ram

Jan 30, 2020, 4:05:11 PM1/30/20
to lsyncd
Hi,

this is a kernel imposed limit. highest it can go is 999999999 folders. run this command and restart lsyncd

echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=999999999 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf && sudo sysctl -p

Regards,
Ram