rotating lsyncd.log?

Frank Dana

Nov 16, 2017, 5:29:28 PM11/16/17
to lsyncd
I'm using lsyncd logging to its own lsyncd.log file, which can get rather sizeable (I just thought to check for the first time in a while and noticed that its current size was > 100MB), so I wanted to start managing that file using logrotate.

However, after looking over the docs at https://axkibe.github.io/lsyncd/ and searching this group for previous discussion, I couldn't find any information about log-rotation facilities in lsyncd. Is there a way to signal the running lsyncd process that its logfile has been rotated (sending the process a HUP signal is a popular method), so that it will close its output logfile and reopen it to the new one?

I can always use logrotate's "copytruncate" config directive to have it steal the logs out from under lsyncd without its knowledge, if necessary, but I thought I'd look into a more participatory method. Thanks!

Axel Kittenberger

Nov 16, 2017, 5:40:57 PM11/16/17
to lsyncd
Lsyncd closes the logfile handle after each write exactly out of this reason. You can rotate it "under it's feet" without any issues.

FeRD

Nov 16, 2017, 5:59:00 PM11/16/17
to lsy...@googlegroups.com
Perfect! Thanks.

su...@valtix.com

Apr 6, 2019, 12:08:41 PM4/6/19
to lsyncd
Axel,

Sorry for awakening an old post. Wouldn't opening/closing stream on each write kill the performance even on a low to moderately chatty sync? Why not just handle the HUP (or USR1) and close & reopen?

Thx,
-Sunil