Fwd: [OccupyLondon] Bill of Wrongs

Mark Barrett

Sep 5, 2018, 11:02:26 AM9/5/18
to lsxcampe...@googlegroups.com
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Lsx <occupy...@lists.riseup.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 13:50
Subject: [OccupyLondon] Bill of Wrongs
To: occupy...@lists.riseup.net <occupy...@lists.riseup.net>,
<occupylo...@lists.riseup.net>

Hi

Thanks to the occupiers who were at Byline Festival and helped with
the three assemblies we ran. They were really short and this is just
an experiment at this stage but help with the following would be
great. Either voting on the bill of wrongs (takes minutes) or
networking it

Keep it lit

Jamie

We just got this experiment going off the back of Byline Festival and
I could do with your input.

Here's a two minute clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl3BtqgUUDk&feature=youtu.be

an article about it
https://www.thecanary.co/exclusive/2018/08/29/a-bunch-of-folk-in-a-field-have-taken-a-massive-stride-towards-real-democracy/

and the link to the Bill of Wrongs that remains live and monitored for
analytics by Robert, the Icelandic bloke who set it up
https://bylinefestival2018.yrpri.org/group/1632

It'd be GREAT if you networked it. It's a warm up to see how we can do
UK projects around sortition, municipalism and participatory and
digital democracy.

So as many people engaging now and getting on that simple to use site
would be great. You upvote or downvote, add ideas, comments. Dead easy
and done in minutes.

---
To unsubscribe: <mailto:occupylondon...@lists.riseup.net>

Obi_Live OLSXWatching

Sep 6, 2018, 5:01:47 PM9/6/18
to lsxcampe...@googlegroups.com, occupylondon
Thanks Jamie:

Looks fascinating, so I had the temerity to post to the OL site. Hope it's okay. I haven't shared yet though.

Yours Respectfully.
Obi

--

---

Lsx

Sep 7, 2018, 10:18:27 AM9/7/18
to peterc...@googlemail.com, Lorenzo Abadinas, lsxcampe...@googlegroups.com, occupylondon
Thanks Obi you diamond

Please do push it out as much as you can

Cheers for feedback

I've been facilitating a few really simple assemblies at a few festivals and in a local community, if anyone else is, let me know. Democracy is dirty. Remember the Tea Tent!

Keep it lit

Jamie

Great work Jamie and all involved! Let's keep building this up!

Em Weirdigan

Sep 7, 2018, 11:12:00 AM9/7/18
to lsxcampe...@googlegroups.com, peterc...@googlemail.com, Lorenzo Abadinas, occupylondon
If there's a new generation of assemblies and assemblers it might be good to remember some of the things we learnt...

At the start of a movement or project the enthusiasm is always high and it may seem such rememberings are unnecessary; but just maybe they might stop folks stumbling into dark cul de sacs further down the road.

Here's a few I can think of:
  • Being sober during assemblies and meetings is usually a good idea
  • Being non-violent during assemblies and meetings is usually a good idea
  • Listening before making up minds is usually a good idea
  • Objections can be folded into proposals through amendments rather than stopping a proposal dead
  • 'Standing aside' is a great way of saying 'I don't agree' without stopping something happening
  • Preventing a proposal from going ahead ('blocking') should only happen if the objector voices a reasonable objection which is focused on the proposal, and if they're following the guidelines given at the beginning of an assembly (for example they're sober, haven't behaved violently, have listened to other voices)
  • We adopted a way of testing the validity of a block, in cases where a very small minority were blocking - if 10% of the assembly thought a block was valid (which is different from agreeing with it!) then the block could stand
  • We also adopted a process where in the case of a small minority of people blocking a proposal, objectors attempted to meet proposers to reach resolution and design an amended proposal that all could agree with
The full process for an OL Assembly is here: http://occupylondon.org.uk/general-assembly/how-a-general-assembly-works/

Of course there are other ways of doing things and this was always a work in progress which could almost certainly still be improved...
Still, I do deeply believe the work we did over those months at St Paul's to tailor the assembly & consensus process to enable it to work for open assemblies held outdoors with no boundaries, where everyone's voice counted, was hugely valuable; the insights hard won; and the results not to be forgotten, even if people do choose to ignore them :)

Em

---

---

Steve Burak

Sep 7, 2018, 11:18:44 AM9/7/18
to lsx...@gmail.com, peterc...@googlemail.com, Lorenzo Abadinas, lsxcampe...@googlegroups.com, occupylondon
Hey Obi, Jamie ... And all ... If you're not sure how to keep it lit, I've got some glow-worms in my garden. :) Steve

Sent from my iPad

Lsx

Sep 9, 2018, 9:18:01 AM9/9/18
to lsxcampe...@googlegroups.com, peterc...@googlemail.com, Lorenzo Abadinas, occupylondon
Hard won indeed and valuable to the core

I remember being there when we were forced to learn and adapt

Thanks Em

Jx
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lsxcampeconomi...@googlegroups.com.