How to calculate "External work" and the source of energy formulation

17 views
Skip to first unread message

Nikesh Kumar Ojha

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 4:02:46 AMSep 14
to LS-DYNA2

Hello everyone,

Greetings of the day.

I am performing an impact analysis using the LS-DYNA/Explicit solver and analyzing the energy balance during the simulation. I used the GLSTAT output file to extract the External Work data. However, I observed that the external work remains zero throughout the simulation (screenshot attached).

I have two questions:

  1. Is it normal for the External Work to remain zero during an impact simulation, or am I calculating/extracting it incorrectly?

  2. Could anyone please suggest a reliable source or reference for the mathematical formulations/definition of *External Work, Internal Energy, Sliding Energy, Hourglass Energy and other relevant energy for impact simulations* reported in LS-DYNA

I would greatly appreciate your valuable insights and suggestions on this matter.

Regards,
Nikesh

energywith_External_work.png

leszek...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 4:10:14 AMSep 14
to Nikesh Kumar Ojha, LS-DYNA2

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LS-DYNA2" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ls-dyna2+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ls-dyna2/98988ab0-16d0-4034-8f5f-fb01ccf6ce15n%40googlegroups.com.

image002.png

Nikesh Kumar Ojha

unread,
Sep 15, 2026, 8:58:19 AMSep 15
to leszek...@gmail.com, LS-DYNA2
Thanks for the suggestions. 

Please provide suggestions regarding my second concern, particularly the formulations of the different energy components.

Regards 
Nikesh
--
Thanks & Regards

Nikesh Kumar Ojha 
(Research Scholar)
Mechanical Engineering Department 
SLIET Longowal , Sangrur(Punjab), 148106.
Contact- 9458534839
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages