Hub oil seal drift

Neale Penman

May 28, 2021, 5:49:01 AM5/28/21
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes you come across something so serendipitous that you just have
to share.

While rebuilding my defender's swivel joints I came to the part where
you have to replace the hub oil seal. The pro's and the you tubers all
seem to have either a specific LR seal drift tool or a drift set. Or
they fudge it and risk damaging the seal lip.

I discovered that the drive member provides a perfect drift for the hub
oil seal, even to the extent that the metal sealing lip on the member
fits snugly into the lip of the oil seal. Just be aware not to drift the
member flat to the hub- that will seat the seal a bit deeper than required.

Use it /don't use it :) I'm sure I'm not the first to discover this but
it doesn't seem to be on the web.

Any other helpful dual use LR parts?

Cheers

Neale