DEFENDER PUMA - LOSS OF POWER AND OVERHEATING

Andy Stuart

Jul 29, 2021, 8:57:36 AM7/29/21
to LROC Techtorque Discussion Forum
I have a 2010 Defender Puma 2.4, and on uphills occasionally experience a loss of power (limp mode?) associated with an immediate  rise in temperature, and the problem then generally corrects itself within 10 or so seconds.

Another issue, which may be connected to the above, is a fluctuation in heater temperature - and there seems to be a correlation with a drop in heater temperature and rise in engine temperature, per the temperature  gauge - but not consistent.

Anyone had the same issue?

Andy Stuart
072 172 1112

Jakes Louw

Jul 29, 2021, 9:32:52 AM7/29/21
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com
1) insufficient coolant
2) water pump is failing

Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/LROCSouthAfrica

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LROC Techtorque Discussion Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lroc-techtorque/bfc657af-98d0-47b3-9fdb-3d415d7883b3n%40googlegroups.com.

Bertus Bekker

Jul 29, 2021, 10:02:16 AM7/29/21
to lroc-techtorque

Jakes Louw

Jul 29, 2021, 10:32:37 AM7/29/21
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com
Crazy thermostat maybe. But why only when experiencing extra load?

Bruce Turner

Jul 29, 2021, 1:02:54 PM7/29/21
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Jakes. Fit a new water pump as well as check radiator for blockage inside and on the outside.

Ive just replaced my entire cooing system including water pump as a precaution. My old pump was still fine so you welcome to have it to test before buying a new one but in all honesty I wouldn’t mess around with it.

I would replace the thermostat as a precaution also. Are you loosing water? If yes replace the reservoir cap also. They are not expensive items when you consider the possible damage that can be caused.

Rgds
BruceT

Andy Stuart

Jul 30, 2021, 3:09:26 AM7/30/21
to LROC Techtorque Discussion Forum
Thanks Jake, Bertus and Bruce  for  your input.  I have had the  water pump, thermostat and radiator replaced, and the  coolant level is  correct - but the  problem persists.  I have taken it to a different  technician now and his suggestion is to try replacing the cylinder head heat  sensor.  I will see if that helps.

Regards

Andy

Jakob Jordaan

Jul 30, 2021, 4:55:53 AM7/30/21
to LROC Techtorque
Hi Andy, I have sent you Rob keen’s contact details, he is a Club members and I think he might help.

Have you checked delamination of the turbo boost pipe, a common problem on the Pumas

Ons praat weer.

Jakob Jordaan
+2782-808-1422

“I must be a mermaid.  I have no fear of depths & a great fear of shallow living.” - Anais Nin

Andy Stuart

Jul 30, 2021, 5:15:42 AM7/30/21
to LROC Techtorque Discussion Forum
Thanks very much Jakob - I will ask them to check that

Errol Peinke

Jul 31, 2021, 6:04:14 AM7/31/21
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andy

I had similar problems with my 2.4

Give me a ring at ZERO ATE TWO 4819851

REegards errol

Bruce Turner

Aug 2, 2021, 1:31:56 AM8/2/21
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com
Errol please share how you sorted your problem out here.

Thank you

Rgds
BruceT