Frontrunner Defender spare wheel carrier

Dirk Uys

Mar 22, 2022, 8:35:39 AM3/22/22
to LROC Techtorque Discussion Forum
Hi all

Something to take note of if you have a Frontrunner spare wheel carrier on your Defender.

I removed the bracket on the rear door of my 2006 Kalahari 110 to repair the cracks that have formed on the bracket on the rear door as indicated in the picture below. I also decided to fix some other design deficiencies on the carrier by making modifications to reduce the strain on the rear door when opening.

Bracket.JPG

I saw that there were small areas on the mounting plate where the powder coating failed around some holes and started to corrode. I decided to remove the plate to sand and paint it. I was shocked when I saw the back of the plate totally corroded. The door also started to corrode but luckily it was not as bad as the plate. I will apply some sealant between the plate and the door when refitting the plate to keep dust and moisture out.
Mounting Plate.JPG

The corrosion on the rear door.
Rust on rear door.JPG

I suggest removing the mounting plate and checking for corrosion to prevent excessive damage to the rear door.

Regards

Dirk

Neale Penman

Mar 22, 2022, 10:14:30 AM3/22/22
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dirk

I have the same carrier.

Have a really careful look at the top bracket location. The attached pic shows what happens when you regularly carry two MTB's on a rack that sits on the spare wheel.  I suspect my teenagers using the spare wheel as a step to the roof didn't help either...

On my growing list of things to fix.

Cheers

Neale

Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/LROCSouthAfrica

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LROC Techtorque Discussion Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lroc-techtorque/886f0d10-ffc9-4776-b311-35a4a06c75e9n%40googlegroups.com.
--
Neale Penman | Confluence | Research driven strategy | 082 468 6766 | 011 807 7576 | www.confluence.co.za
20220322_154543.jpg

Dirk Uys

Mar 23, 2022, 9:21:37 AM3/23/22
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neale

Thank you for the picture. I will certainly look into reinforcing the attachment of the top bracket.

Regards

Dirk