Oil for R380 gearbox

Renzo Blasa

Jun 23, 2024, 3:03:46 PMJun 23
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone, what oil should I be using in the 1997 Defender’s R380 gearbox?

Thanks

Renzo

Jakob Jordaan

Jun 23, 2024, 3:19:15 PMJun 23
to LROC Techtorque
Hi Renzo,

The oficial LR spec is ATF, I’ve been using only that for 400k kilos without gearbox problems or overhaul.  Have fun!!

Mooi loop!

Jakob Jordaan
+2782-808-1422

“I must be a mermaid.  I have no fear of depths & a great fear of shallow living.” - Anais Nin

Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/LROCSouthAfrica

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LROC Techtorque Discussion Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lroc-techtorque/000501dac5a0%240d656900%2428303b00%24%40blasa.co.za.

Renzo Blasa

Jun 23, 2024, 3:37:28 PMJun 23
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Jakob, is that the red ATF oil, or do we use synthetic?

Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/LROCSouthAfrica

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LROC Techtorque Discussion Forum" group.

Jakob Jordaan

Jakes Louw

Jun 24, 2024, 4:21:34 AMJun 24
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com
Just be aware that ATF is VERY thin. I'd consider replacing that often.
Plenty of R380s have died in Africa when the oil viscosity gets too low.
I'd have said use Castrol Syntrans, but I've heard that doesn't work well with the internal oil pump and splash lubrication.

Vivian Gericke

Jun 24, 2024, 10:21:51 AMJun 24
to lroc-te...@googlegroups.com
My 2-cents: What I have been doing on all 3 of my R380 gear boxes:

2 Liter ATF Dextron 3, and the balance EP 80W/90.

I change the oil every 20 000km, also the transfer box and diffs, (EP 80W/90)

By the way, we are now in Utah in the USA with our Kalahari model. Utah is an absolute amazing overland destination.

Regards

Vivian Gericke