Cross-walking LRMI

Hugh Paterson III

May 20, 2022, 12:22:06 AM5/20/22
to lr...@googlegroups.com, DCMI-LRMI Task Group
Greetings,

Two questions:

1. Has anyone cross-walked data to LRMI from MARC? I'm interested in seeing which MARC fields were used in the crosswalk process.

2. Has anyone mapped LRMI to Dublin Core (elements and terms)? I have done a rough draft already, but I'm wondering if a known or published equivalency exists.

thanks,
- Hugh

Phil Barker

May 20, 2022, 5:11:22 AM5/20/22
to lr...@googlegroups.com

Hello Hugh

On 20/05/2022 05:21, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
Greetings,

Two questions:

1. Has anyone cross-walked data to LRMI from MARC? I'm interested in seeing which MARC fields were used in the crosswalk process.

Not that I know of.

2. Has anyone mapped LRMI to Dublin Core (elements and terms)? I have done a rough draft already, but I'm wondering if a known or published equivalency exists.

I am not sure what you mean. I don't think there is much (any?) overlap between Dublin Core Elements / Terms and the properties and classes defined by LRMI [1], apart perhaps from some relationship of lrmi:EducationalAudience as a dct:AgentClass.

But perhaps you mean the properties listed by schema.org for a Learning Resource [2], in which case it is more a matter of mapping between schema.org and Dublin Core.  Some equivalencies are declared in the machine-readable schema.org schema definition files [3], for example:

schema:name a rdf:Property ;
    rdfs:label "name" ;
    rdfs:comment "The name of the item." ;
    rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:label ;
    owl:equivalentProperty dcterms:title ;
(Just name, description, temporalCoverage, spatialCoverage, and identifier, I think)

There was a project a while back to do a fuller mapping, but I do not know whether it completed, or what happened to the outputs.

Doing any mapping tends to raise a lot of questions, and in my experience often turns out to be a bigger job than expected.

Hope this helps, Phil

1. https://www.dublincore.org/specifications/lrmi/lrmi_terms/2020-11-12/

2. https://schema.org/LearningResource

3. https://schema.org/docs/developers.html#defs

thanks,
- Hugh

Phil Barker. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
CETIS LLP: a cooperative consultancy for innovation in education technology.
PJJK Limited: technology to enhance learning; information systems for education.

CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in England number OC399090
PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company, number SC569282.