Saying hello

Michael Collins

Jun 28, 2018, 11:24:04 AM6/28/18
to Learning Resource Metadata Initiative
Hi everyone,

I'm a co-founder of the OER Schema project, along with Katrina Wehr and Alex Boyce (Alex is less involved, but still around). We are making slow and steady progress with a publishing workflow/ecosystem. Our long term vision is to help people easily create remix-ready, sustainable course content that is web accessible and openly licensed. An authoring tool project we are working on with some others is called HAX. The main idea is that it authors and publishes in HTML, but is pluggable with APIs, so you can pull in video, 3d objects, math, create layouts, and all sorts of things without having any knowledge of writing HTML. And most importantly, we can add schema using a UI, since none of us want to hand code html. It's under heavy development, but we are running it in production for our online courses here in the College of Arts and Architecture at Penn State.

I talked with Phil Barker briefly via email, and discussed that we should maybe have a conversation about defining the scopes of our schema so they are as complimentary as possible.

Thanks and hope to connect with some of you in the near future,
-Mike

Phil Barker

Jun 28, 2018, 11:37:00 AM6/28/18
to lr...@googlegroups.com

Hello Michael, pleased to see you here.

I'm going to be away from work for a couple of weeks, but one of my plans for later in the summer is to look more closely at how OER Schema and LRMI/schema.org compare, to find out where there are differences and what they have in common. Do you know of any similar effort? I'll share my work here when I get started.

I need to learn more about HAX. I keep seeing references to it and it looks interesting.

Phil.

Phil Barker. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
PJJK Limited: technology to enhance learning; information systems for education.
CETIS LLP: a cooperative consultancy for innovation in education technology.

PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company, number SC569282.
CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in England number OC399090

Steve Midgley

Jun 28, 2018, 6:45:19 PM6/28/18
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,

This is really interesting - I'd love to learn more. We've been profiling publishing schema based on schema+lrmi+oerschema already, so I'd like to figure out what your approach is with HAX.

I'll reach out directly, and report back to this group where I have anything to contribute.

Best,
Steve