schema.org list of events

bassel alsous

Mar 14, 2016, 9:38:04 AM3/14/16
to Learning Resource Metadata Initiative

my website have list of courses and every course repeat many times in the year

so the site structure will be like this

  • level 1 menu of courses category

    • level 2 menu of courses name in each category

      • level 3 course page contain course outline and menu of course events

        • level 4 event page for every event

cause every course repeat many times in the year so i made every date as event

my question is what i should select in schema.org for each level i but the category as SiteNavigationElement

can i tag the courses menu as course and every course page as course ?

and the event menu as event and each event as event ?

Phil Barker

Mar 14, 2016, 11:26:37 AM3/14/16
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bassel,
firstly, extending schema for the description of educational courses is a work in progress, happening at https://www.w3.org/community/schema-course-extend

We are looking for real-world examples to test the practicality what we develop, so you would be very welcome to join us.

On 14/03/2016 13:38, bassel alsous wrote:

my website have list of courses and every course repeat many times in the year

so the site structure will be like this

  • level 1 menu of courses category

    • level 2 menu of courses name in each category

      • level 3 course page contain course outline and menu of course events

        • level 4 event page for every event

cause every course repeat many times in the year so i made every date as event

Yes, we are modelling this as a Course with several CourseInstances; CourseInstance is a subtype of schema.org/Event Course is a subtype of schema.org/CreativeWork.

my question is what i should select in schema.org for each level i but the category as SiteNavigationElement

can i tag the courses menu as course and every course page as course ?

Yes, you can, but you should make sure that you provide a url property for the courses in the menu which matches the url of the course description page. However, I am not sure that there is much benefit.

Perhaps you are thinking of how to define the structure of the course, in which case you might want to move away from seeing this list as purely a SiteNavigationElement, or you might want to create a page for each level of the course.

and the event menu as event and each event as event ?

Likewise, yes, but...

You are also touching on a use case that we have not yet explicitly addressed, of how to describe the individual events of a CourseInstance (see https://www.w3.org/community/schema-course-extend/wiki/Outline_use_cases#use_case_1.3_refining_UC1_by_time_of_events )

Hope this helps, Phil

Phil Barker           @philbarker
LRMI, Cetis, ICBL     http://people.pjjk.net/phil
Heriot-Watt University

Workflow: http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/~philb/workflow/

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes. Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how to apply.

Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under charity number SC000278.

bassel alsous

Mar 15, 2016, 6:50:27 PM3/15/16
to lr...@googlegroups.com
thank you my friend for you reply
i join the group you invite me to it
i will finish my project and uploaded and share the link with the group hope get a good example :)

Bassel Alsous