How to choose the right metadata standard?

Steffen Rörtgen

Feb 28, 2023, 3:02:24 AM2/28/23
to Learning Resource Metadata Innovation
Dear metadata enthusiasts,

I'm looking for literature or any kind of publication that deals with the question on how to choose the right metadata standard. This could be the discussion on should I choose LRMI over LOM, but also any other kind object type, e.g. credentials, educational offers or something similar.

I guess that regardless of the kind of object you want to describe (Learning Resources, Credentials, etc) there has to be some kind of general criteria, like for example acceptance and distribution, documentation, activity and community, licenses and costs that one can apply to choose the right standards for a respective project.

Unfortunately I did not find too much about that topic. So if you have any tips and hints, I'd be very happy to look into it.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!
Steffen
---
Steffen Rörtgen

bra...@redd.org

Feb 28, 2023, 8:54:27 AM2/28/23
to lr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Steffen,

This group, of course, supports LRMI. That brings with it all of the schema.org metadata definitions so you should review schema.org to see if the types and properties there meet your needs.

The IEEE LTSC P2881 Working Group (https://sagroups.ieee.org/2881/) is nearly ready with the successor to LOM and there’s coordination between that work and LRMI. I recommend you check out their draft standard. Andy Johnson will be happy to fill you in.

Best Regards,

Brandt

Steffen Rörtgen

Feb 28, 2023, 9:38:54 AM2/28/23
to lr...@googlegroups.com, bra...@redd.org
Dear Brandt,

thank you very much.

Please let me rephrase my question a little to make it clearer:

What kind of criteria can one apply when having to choose a metadata
standard?

This does not need to be specific for education. I'm looking for
criteria that a person or project can apply to choose the appropriate
metadata standard for his or her needs.
I did not find any literature on that topic in the web, so I thought I
ask here, where a lot of people are concerned with metadata standards.

Thank you
Steffen

On 28.02.23 14:54, bra...@redd.org wrote:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> This group, of course, supports LRMI. That brings with it all of the
> schema.org metadata definitions so you should review schema.org to see
> if the types and properties there meet your needs.
>
> The IEEE LTSC P2881 Working Group (https://sagroups.ieee.org/2881/
> <https://sagroups.ieee.org/2881/>) is nearly ready with the successor to
> LOM and there’s coordination between that work and LRMI. I recommend you
> check out their draft standard. Andy Johnson will be happy to fill you in.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Brandt

Phil Barker

Feb 28, 2023, 9:52:24 AM2/28/23
to lr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Steffen, nothing specific to choosing metadata standards comes to mind, but the criteria you suggest look similar to those that come up in software maturity models, so maybe these might help:

Open Source Maturity Model http://oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/osmm

Software Sustainability Maturity Model: http://oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/ssmm

Hope this helps, Phil

--

Phil Barker, http://people.pjjk.net/phil (he/him).
CETIS LLP: a cooperative consultancy for innovation in education technology.

CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in England number OC399090
PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company, number SC569282.

Steve Midgley

Feb 28, 2023, 11:10:28 AM2/28/23
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Phil's references are helpful, and I'd add a little more. I think of metadata spec selection as being like any other tech spec selection for product development: it's aligned to the product and business requirements, mediated through technical product specifications. Or in plain language: you have to know what you are trying to build, and then you have to pick the standards or specs that best meet those goals.

There are lots of resources out there on product and business requirements development. I like the Business Model canvas for enumerating business goals and the Lean Startup method for developing product requirements. From those resources, I then functionally evaluate a metadata schema and its samples that I can find and see how well it seems to meet my needs. It's going to be guesswork with lots of room for error, but I haven't found a better way.

The key invariant criteria I apply to my selection are: 1) Is it openly licensed for derivative work?; 2) Is it extensible by me, without changes or support from others?

If it fails either of those criteria and I'm not very certain it will meet my needs alone (e.g., I don't worry about SMTP being effectively non-extensible, b/c I know it will meet my needs!), then I pass on it.

I hope this kind of process description helps..
Steve

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lrmi/b0a95fb1-3613-281b-24d2-fac31dbfb71e%40pjjk.co.uk.

Stuart Sutton

Feb 28, 2023, 1:27:06 PM2/28/23
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Steffen you might want to look at the d-Lib Magazine article titled Metadata Principles and Practices [1]. The article has been frequently cited to this day even though it was written in 2001-2 with authors from the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative and IEEE LTSC worlds. Obviously, it's missing much of recent history but the "principles" are still applicable.  Points missing include metadata decisions based on whether the use will be in open world systems, closed world systems or both [2] triggering use of Semantic Metadata, RDF, etc..

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 6:52 AM Phil Barker <phil....@pjjk.co.uk> wrote:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lrmi/b0a95fb1-3613-281b-24d2-fac31dbfb71e%40pjjk.co.uk.
Message has been deleted