LearningResource type now in schema.org

Phil Barker

Jul 29, 2020, 8:04:47 AM7/29/20
to lr...@googlegroups.com

Hello LRMI Google group,

You might be interested that as of release 9.0 (July 21) LearningResource has been added to the pending section of schema.org as a subtype of CreativeWork. Most of the LRMI properties are in its domain (we seem to have missed one, learninResourceType, which I hope we can fix soon)

The main aim is to make it more obvious that there are properties in schema.org that can describe educational aspects of resources, and also to make it easier for people who index schema.org to identify those resources that someone has asserted are a learning resource. There is also some interesting work in development being lead by people at Google, about describing quizzes and questions in schema.org (see github issues 2611 and 2636)

The definition an notes for LearningResource read:

The LearningResource type can be used to indicate CreativeWorks (whether physical or digital) that have a particular and explicit orientation towards learning, education, skill acquisition, and other educational purposes.

LearningResource is expected to be used as an addition to a primary type such as Book, Video, Product etc.

EducationEvent serves a similar purpose for event-like things (e.g. a Trip). A LearningResource may be created as a result of an EducationEvent, for example by recording one.

If you're interested in the "what is a learning resource" argument and the thinking behind adding this as a type in schema.org, I've written a post about it on my personal blog.

Phil

--

Phil Barker. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
CETIS LLP: a cooperative consultancy for innovation in education technology.

CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in England number OC399090
PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company, number SC569282.

Stuart Sutton

Jul 29, 2020, 11:44:43 AM7/29/20
to LRMI
Very nice blog post, Phil.

J Marks

Jul 29, 2020, 2:24:22 PM7/29/20
to lr...@googlegroups.com
Why we did not do that from the start I have no clue.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 5:04 AM Phil Barker <phil....@pjjk.co.uk> wrote:

Stuart Sutton

Jul 29, 2020, 2:32:36 PM7/29/20
to LRMI
Joshua, we discussed doing so repeatedly for 2 or 3 years... :-)

Brandt Redd

Jul 29, 2020, 7:02:11 PM7/29/20
to lr...@googlegroups.com

Is the ability to inherit multiple types (e.g. LearningResource and Video) a relatively new practice in Schema.org? I don’t recall that option being discussed previously.

jkmarks

Jul 29, 2020, 8:12:54 PM7/29/20
to lr...@googlegroups.com
You may recall a rather lengthy debate about if a physical thing like a manipulative block can be a learning resource.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy A10e, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone