Re: Capturing visible text on Ajax TruClient Protocol of LR 11.5

Shlomi Nissim

Dec 14, 2012, 11:27:54 AM12/14/12
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Try the following....

1. Open the toolbox and drop a verify step right after the step that trigger showing the relevant element

2. Change the action to Get Property and in the arguments select "Visible Text". Assign the value to a variable. You may need to modify the object identification in order not to rely on the current text so it will capture any text

3. Now you can use a simple evaluate JavaScript code that triggers window.alert(VariableName) or use this variable any way you wish. To print it to the Vuser log you can use LR.log function.

Read the manual in order to complete yourself the picture and play with it until it works.

Good luck.

Shlomi Nissim
HP Software

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Madhuban Mukherjee <sweetm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to Ajax Truclient Protocol using Firefox in LR 11.5. However, I am facing some issues as to capturing a dynamic text on the web page. For example, if after opening an individual's profile, I need to capture the name of his/her manager and print it, how do I do it? Please help me out.

Thanks & Regards,
Madhu

Paul Kiripolsky

Jun 21, 2013, 10:37:33 AM6/21/13
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com
Hello Shlomini,
I'm a complete novice when it comes to LR and I'm currently using version 11.52.  I need to scrape a dynamically generated order number off of the page that I am testing and am getting hung up on one thing; the variable.  I cannot figure out how to assign the variable in LR (neither the syntax nor the javascript).  I can follow all of the other steps you posted in your response but this variable problem is vexing me.  I've included a screen shot of the step that I am on.  Any help (and or code) would be much appreciated, thank you.

James Pulley

Jun 24, 2013, 11:22:24 AM6/24/13
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com
"I'm a complete novice when it comes to LR and I'm currently using version 11.52."

Have you been through product training?  Have you been assigned to an internship where you are working with a master in the profession?

If the answer is no to either of the above, then this is the place to begin.   Whether you are a stone mason, a cosmetologist, an electrician or a performance tester, there is a model for success which involves a confirmation of foundation skills, education on process and tools.   If the person who has asked you to perform in this role is not providing you with a path to success then you should expect to be tossed under the bus to salvage a customer relationship in the future as this is virtually guaranteed to happen.

James Pulley
Moderator

Abdul Baseeth

Apr 19, 2014, 7:18:47 AM4/19/14
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com
Mr James

Let him learn, why do you demotivate him ? I've seen you in a couple of forums and you always seems to be demotivate people. If you do not wish to answer just be silent.

Madhu,

You can use get the variable dynamically and then using Evaluate java script option you can verify dynamically by using window.<<variable name>> function. Hope this helps

-Known is drop unknown is ocean !

-Baseeth

James Pulley

Apr 20, 2014, 9:21:47 PM4/20/14
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com
The value of our profession has been horribly damaged in the eyes of our client base by managers tossing people into a role with no validation of foundation skills, no training and no mentoring.   This is not the fault of the person who finds themselves in this position, but the management of the person placing them there.  The best way we can ensure that our combined client bases find actual value in the services delivered is to ensure that every candidate enters the profession with some very basic support: shoring up of their foundation skills (independent of tool), training in process, training in tools and then a period of internship with a mentor in the profession.

We have a very odd economic model which has impacted our profession, rates continue to decline even as demand rises in the face of a sparse supply of resources.  Economic models tell us this can only happen in an environment where the average value of services being delivered is declining at a faster rate than the gulf in available talent.  By ensuring that we are all delivering actual value to our clients is the best way to ensure that our own profession does not continue to face rate decimation by low value providers.

Why do I feel like Norma Rae holding up a card that reads, "union..?"

HurricaneGMS

May 23, 2014, 9:38:08 AM5/23/14
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com

Is this not a forum to get help?  Nbody needs a lecture on economics or life lessons. Just need some tech support to help with a tool that is seriously lacking any good reference guides.

James Pulley

May 23, 2014, 9:39:56 AM5/23/14
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com
No forum on the internet can be considered a replacement for training in process and tools.  You would not hire an electrician with no training to wire your home, turning to the internet for questions when stumped and neither should you hire a performance tester in the same model.   This is independent of tool used.

On Jun 24, 2013 11:22 AM, "James Pulley" <loadrunner-lists@jamespulley.com> wrote:

> "I'm a complete novice when it comes to LR and I'm currently using version 11.52."
>
> Have you been through product training?  Have you been assigned to an internship where you are working with a master in the profession?
>
> If the answer is no to either of the above, then this is the place to begin.   Whether you are a stone mason, a cosmetologist, an electrician or a performance tester, there is a model for success which involves a confirmation of foundation skills, education on process and tools.   If the person who has asked you to perform in this role is not providing you with a path to success then you should expect to be tossed under the bus to salvage a customer relationship in the future as this is virtually guaranteed to happen.
>
> James Pulley
> Moderator
>

> On Friday, December 14, 2012 1:28:41 AM UTC-5, Madhuban Mukherjee wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am new to Ajax Truclient Protocol using Firefox in LR 11.5. However, I am facing some issues as to capturing a dynamic text on the web page. For example, if after opening an individual's profile, I need to capture the name of his/her manager and print it, how do I do it? Please help me out.
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>> Madhu

John Stewart

Sep 24, 2014, 11:12:24 AM9/24/14
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com
Really James?
I have 6 years plus experience as a QA and Performance Testing Analyst yet I STILL turn to the forums when I have an issue I can't resolve. The forums are way better than actual HP support because, unlike most of the HP Engineers - the majority of forum members are commenting on knowledge gained through actually using the software.
When I started out, I was handed the HP manual and told to go for it. I read the manual like the bible and asked questions on the FORUMS and that is how I learned HP Testing Software.
Yes, we did some formal training by HP Partners but I got more out of the forums than I did out of those courses. Not to mention, not all businesses have internships for Quality Assurance or even Masters in the profession.
Like everyone else on this forum eludes to, get off your soap box and either help - or remain silent.

On Jun 24, 2013 11:22 AM, "James Pulley" <loadrunn...@jamespulley.com> wrote:

> "I'm a complete novice when it comes to LR and I'm currently using version 11.52."
>
> Have you been through product training?  Have you been assigned to an internship where you are working with a master in the profession?
>
> If the answer is no to either of the above, then this is the place to begin.   Whether you are a stone mason, a cosmetologist, an electrician or a performance tester, there is a model for success which involves a confirmation of foundation skills, education on process and tools.   If the person who has asked you to perform in this role is not providing you with a path to success then you should expect to be tossed under the bus to salvage a customer relationship in the future as this is virtually guaranteed to happen.
>
> James Pulley
> Moderator
>

> On Friday, December 14, 2012 1:28:41 AM UTC-5, Madhuban Mukherjee wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am new to Ajax Truclient Protocol using Firefox in LR 11.5. However, I am facing some issues as to capturing a dynamic text on the web page. For example, if after opening an individual's profile, I need to capture the name of his/her manager and print it, how do I do it? Please help me out.
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>> Madhu

John Stewart

Sep 24, 2014, 11:15:43 AM9/24/14
to LR-Loa...@googlegroups.com
I totally Agree Abdul,
Every time James makes a comment, regardless of forum, he is basically telling the poster to go read the book. Unfortunately our profession has many people like him who sit on their soap box and lecture rather than help. We all started learning somewhere and we all don't have the luxury of finding an internship or "mentor" to help us.
I seriously don't think James has made ONE helpful comment since I have been on these forums, his moderator privileges should be seriously looked into.
Message has been deleted