lqt and Qt 5.2 and 5.3

Costachescu Cristinel

Jul 25, 2014, 9:23:47 PM7/25/14
to lqt-bi...@googlegroups.com
Hello there!
I have just found this project and I am gaining interest in using it. But I am going to develop under Qt 5.2 (and 5.3 since it's backwards compatible).
Is it Qt 5.2 on the lqt todo list ? If so, is it already in act or we'll have to wait a bit for it? I have read a last update from september 2013 which said Qt4.8 changes required some hard work, but I really wish you're done with it.

Also, off topic question: I noticed you mark signals and slots with 2 and 1 prepended to a function name. Can't you make lqt work without it ? I could notice you're following the same synatx qt uses in connecting signals and slots, which definitely sets the argument order upon calling. An alternative could also be a SLOT(object) and SIGNAL(object) macro used like this:
QObject::connect('SLOT(mySignalNameHere(bool))', object, 'SIGNAL(mySlotNameHere(bool))');
It maintains the string arguments just like they are used right now, but enforces the signal and slot marking. Qt 5 also does it this way (I'm not sure how Qt 4.7 does it, I suppose it didn't have any signal/slot marking which is why you added 1 and 2).

Thank you in advance, and keep up the good work ;)

Michal Kottman

Jul 28, 2014, 2:10:58 AM7/28/14
to lqt-bi...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 26, 2014 3:23 AM, "Costachescu Cristinel" <costachesc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there!
> I have just found this project and I am gaining interest in using it. But I am going to develop under Qt 5.2 (and 5.3 since it's backwards compatible).
> Is it Qt 5.2 on the lqt todo list ? If so, is it already in act or we'll have to wait a bit for it? I have read a last update from september 2013 which said Qt4.8 changes required some hard work, but I really wish you're done with it.

Hi there, unfortunately since writing that I married, got a full time job and now have a child, which means I haven't had time to work on lqt  for a long time.

The last issues I had with 4.8 was with threading - you create an object in the main thread and Qt calls your virtual method in another thread, causing havoc. I experimented with locking without much success, ended up with a workaround based on masking  overridden methods.

If I ever get to updating lqt, I would basically restart with Qt 5.2 and Lua 5.3, since it supports native 64-bit numbers and binary operators and utf8.

> Also, off topic question: I noticed you mark signals and slots with 2 and 1 prepended to a function name. Can't you make lqt work without it ? I could notice you're following the same synatx qt uses in connecting signals and slots, which definitely sets the argument order upon calling. An alternative could also be a SLOT(object) and SIGNAL(object) macro used like this:
> QObject::connect('SLOT(mySignalNameHere(bool))', object, 'SIGNAL(mySlotNameHere(bool))');

Qt does that when you use the SIGNAL() and SLOT() macros to differentiate between them. You can always create functions like this in your Lua code:

function SIGNAL(s) return '2'..s end
function SLOT(s) return '1'..s end

Since you can also connect signals to other signals, there is no way to do it 'magically'. I'll have to look how it works in Qt 5.

Costachescu Cristinel

Jul 28, 2014, 10:48:41 AM7/28/14
to lqt-bi...@googlegroups.com, michal....@gmail.com
Thank you very much for answering.
So, since you are off the schedule with the work, do you know any similar works like this that you could suggest using in the meantime?

I would have used the SIGNAL() and SLOT() functions as you described. Although, it was just a suggestion for your work, I woudn't care too much about it.