24 September 2023 Agenda: Expulsion Notifications

Jason Bruce (Secretary)

Aug 24, 2023, 9:51:12 PM8/24/23
to LPVA SCC Discussion List
All,

I am writing to inform you that Motions were made to expel the 7 members who attempted to dissolve our party last year. The Motion reads as follows for the below named 7 individuals:

"I motion to expel and bar from membership <<NAME>> from the Libertarian Party of Virginia for their role and vote in the attempted dissolution of the Libertarian Party of Virginia"
  • Holly Ward
  • Celeste Garrett
  • Hannah Lawrence
  • Paul Kunberger
  • Brian Doss
  • Joe Enroughty
  • Chris Frashure
This notification was made to me on 20 August 2023, and notifications were sent via Certified Mail with Return Receipt (all in accordance with our Constitution - Article VII), with an anticipated delivery date of 25 August 2023. The next SCC meeting will consider these Motions individually in Executive Session where the accused will have opportunity to defend their position. The date is set for 24 September 2023, which satisfies the notification requirement as per our Constitution. The vote itself will take place in an open meeting immediately following the Executive Session.

Please let me know if you have questions. But otherwise, please come prepared to cast your vote for this, or have a proxy readily available.

In Liberty,

Jason Bruce
Secretary
Libertarian Party of Virginia

Torche72

Aug 25, 2023, 12:30:53 PM8/25/23
to LPVA SCC Discussion List
Good day all.

These motions need to be considered in open not executive session. The motions have been made here in open session.

It’s not good to have closed trials with public verdicts.

With Liberty,
James St. John

On Aug 24, 2023, at 9:51 PM, Jason Bruce (Secretary) <jbru...@gmail.com> wrote:

All,

Jennifer Leatherbury

Aug 25, 2023, 12:33:53 PM8/25/23
to Torche72, LPVA SCC Discussion List
I agree with James. If any of them show up, I want all members to be able to hear what they have to say.

In Liberty,
Jennifer Leatherbury

Logan Hoy

Aug 25, 2023, 6:26:56 PM8/25/23
to Jennifer Leatherbury, Torche72, LPVA SCC Discussion List

Jason Bruce (Secretary)

Aug 26, 2023, 8:41:16 PM8/26/23
to LPVA SCC Discussion List
Personally, I disagree on making the entire session open. We can and should absolutely have the voting portion in an open meeting, but I feel it better to hold the "hearing" portion in Exec Session. We can always vote to release the video Minutes from the Exec Session but its origin seems much more suited to being internal.

Regardless of everyone's personal feelings about the matter, I still hold items like this as showing a level of professionalism. If we want to hold it in an open meeting, that's Jen's call as the Chair, but I'll put on record that I'm for a closed hearing that we can release the Minutes on and an open vote.

We can take the debate to the Discord channel or on here, but I'll create a separate thread for it so please dont respond to this email with your considerations.

Jason

Logan Hoy

Aug 30, 2023, 12:26:20 AM8/30/23
to Jason Bruce (Secretary), LPVA SCC Discussion List
Actually, agreed with that as well. Lengthy preparatory discussion - to help people sort out their own ideas - probably should be had separately. *Some* discussion and statements, in support and against, should be had openly, so that people understand what is going on.

Jaclyn Campbell

Sep 9, 2023, 11:30:41 AM9/9/23
to Logan Hoy, Jason Bruce (Secretary), LPVA SCC Discussion List
Question: Are we anticipating them having much support to stay members? Or will the overwhelming consensus be that what they did, and attempted deserves expulsion, not only to send a message to future sabatogors but prevent the previous batch from being counted among our ranks?