Election of Congressional District Committee officers

josephw...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2023, 10:12:43 AM7/24/23
to LPVA Constitution Committee
Dear colleagues,

I have been reading through the constitution again this morning and noticed something when I came to Article V, section 8. The first paragraph of that section requires each District Committee to hold a convention at least once every two years (and at least 30 days before the regular state convention). That same section, however, only specifies that the district committee may elect officers at that time, but does not appear to require the election to take place at that time. This is in contrast with the requirement for a regular state convention (Art. V, sec. 5) which makes the election of party officers mandatory rather than optional.

Is the distinction between the state party and the congressional district committees when it comes to election of officers at reoccurring conventions intentional? Perhaps a requirement for electing officers of congressional district committees is specified elsewhere?

Respectfully,
Joseph Knowles

Paul Bracco

Jul 24, 2023, 10:20:37 AM7/24/23
to josephw...@gmail.com, LPVA Constitution Committee
Mr. Knowles,

Thank you for this. I do not know if the distinction is intentional, however I think it is much better to require that regular elections of CD officers be held instead of making it optional, regardless of the original intention. I have no interest in allowing for a "CD chair for life" on a technicality.

If you would like to make a proposal to address this, I've attached the proposal template. Please let me know if you would like any help in either wording or formatting the proposal.

Sincerely,
Paul Bracco

Jul 24, 2023, 10:42:45 AM7/24/23
to LPVA Constitution Committee
Thank you for the template. I made a first draft of the proposal, but I am open to any feedback on how it might be improved.
Amendment Proposal JWK1.docx