Sky broadband no video on 4g gen 1 intercom

Rug Head

Jun 10, 2024, 2:24:55 PMJun 10
to loxone-...@googlegroups.com
Hi gents ,has anyone managed to get a gen 1 intercom working with sky broadband ,cannot access video feed if away from house seen changed to sky.
Becoming a problem now as away more.
Works perfectly well when home connect to WiFi .
Some people say there is something sky routers block , Loxone also think it’s sky .
Would really appreciate any help resolving 👍👍👍🤷

Simon Still

Jun 11, 2024, 4:36:56 AMJun 11
to Loxone English
So, this is only partially helpful.  I've been on Sky BB for quite some years.  I have the intercom fully working and I know that I couldn't use the Sky router.  (I've got an Archer VR600).

There was some setting/function that the Sky router didn't support.  BUT, I can't remember what it was and looking through the settings on my router I can't see anything that's obviously set up 'custom' but is was IIRC it was something to do with port forwarding/passthrough.  (Also, strangely, I seem to have dynamicDNS set up in the router but not working ('domain not valid') though my intercom and remote access to Loxone are both working.

The problem with this stuff is once you figure it out and have it working you don't touch it again until it breaks by which time you've forgotten what you did.  I'll see if I've got any support emails.

Simon Still

Jun 11, 2024, 4:42:07 AMJun 11
to Loxone English
ok - got it.  Another level down in the router settings.

In NAT forwarding/Virtual Servers I've got two entries
Loxone Miniserver external 80 - internal 80
Loxone Vidcom external 8090 internal 80

The sky router doesn't support NAT forwarding.

Jonathan Dixon

Jun 11, 2024, 4:58:19 AMJun 11
to Simon Still, Loxone English
>Loxone Miniserver external 80 - internal 80
Just be aware this is opening up unencrypted web access from anywhere on the internet into your miniserver. (I'm assuming it's gen1 MS?). Anything that uses that port forward is sending unencrypted credentials over the net, which would be easy to capture and replay

FWIW I have a gen1 MS but have nginx reverse proxy running in docker that  exposes a public TLS encrypted interface to the MS via a nonstandard (>1024) port on the WAN side. Happily the Loxone mobile app works fine with this - even though you can't tell it to use TLS or not, it just tries to connect both with and without to see which works.

Simon Still

Jun 11, 2024, 5:08:11 AMJun 11
to Loxone English
Yes, a reason to upgrade to gen2, as I intend to at some point.

But I've always just taken comfort in obscurity.  I'm rarely connecting from outside so there aren't many opportunities to grab credentials, and if someone did get access to my miniserver, I can't see that they can actually do any harm.  Swap out memory card to restore previous version if corrupted.  Change passwords.

Simon Still

Jun 11, 2024, 5:09:03 AMJun 11
to Loxone English
But if theres a way to secure it that's great news.  However, I've no idea what most of  "nginx reverse proxy running in docker that  exposes a public TLS encrypted interface to the MS via a nonstandard (>1024) port on the WAN side" means.  Can you write a tutorial?

Jonathan Dixon

Jun 11, 2024, 5:32:29 AMJun 11
to Simon Still, Loxone English
Yeah no worries, my warning was equally for anyone else reading and blindly following this thread. The next person may not be aware of the vulnerability forwarding port 80 implies, and may be using their miniserver for more critical functions (e.g. disarm burglar alarm and open the front door)

Regarding a tutorial, there's more to it than I mentioned as you also need a stable DNS name, dyndns (or a stable public IP address), and something like lets encrypt to create a trusted server cert.  There's plenty of guides to this already online so not worth me making yet another, and with gen2 having TLS built in, it would have diminishing value anyway.
If you want to have a go this looks a good starting point; https://affanjavid.medium.com/raspberry-pi-reverse-proxy-with-ngnix-and-letsencrypt-ssl-encryption-39671fbf6b96 (but note it links another page about setting up dyndns on Google Domains which is now defunct so you'd need another provider for that)

Rug Head

Jun 11, 2024, 11:56:36 AMJun 11
to Jonathan Dixon, Simon Still, Loxone English
Really appreciate all advice gents👍

Rug Head

Jun 11, 2024, 12:03:03 PMJun 11
to Simon Still, Loxone English
I did hear gen 3 coming soon so don’t want to be well behind the curve again , mind you I had no idea of the running costs equipment upgrades etc when I decided to use Loxone , so many issues over the years has cost me thousands.
Front door key pad got water in no longer works , intercom went pop and about 4 relay extensions arced or something and had to be replaced!

On 11 Jun 2024, at 10:08, Simon Still <simon...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, a reason to upgrade to gen2, as I intend to at some point.

Simon Still

Jun 11, 2024, 1:44:21 PMJun 11
to Loxone English
Where did you hear a rumour about v3?  I think you've been unlucky - touch wood - my intercom is still running after 8 years and I've not had any extension failures (I think one of my extension digital inputs might have been faulty from new but I worked around it)

 I don't run any 240V on Loxone relays  - the limited number of 240v items are on an Ebay relay module for separation (and those relays are tool free replacements if they fail).    What are you switching on the circuits that failed?

Rug Head

Jun 11, 2024, 3:23:31 PMJun 11
to Simon Still, Loxone English
LED kitchen pendants failed twice , and outside lights on back of house and on driveway wall .
I didn’t mention the air receiver that caught fire in the rack !!!!

On 11 Jun 2024, at 18:44, Simon Still <simon...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where did you hear a rumour about v3?  I think you've been unlucky - touch wood - my intercom is still running after 8 years and I've not had any extension failures (I think one of my extension digital inputs might have been faulty from new but I worked around it)

Rug Head

Jun 11, 2024, 3:28:55 PMJun 11
to Simon Still, Loxone English
With regards to the 3rd gen mini server , was talking to my Loxone guy about upgrading to the gen 2 and he said wait as rumours of the gen 3 coming🤷

On 11 Jun 2024, at 18:44, Simon Still <simon...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where did you hear a rumour about v3?  I think you've been unlucky - touch wood - my intercom is still running after 8 years and I've not had any extension failures (I think one of my extension digital inputs might have been faulty from new but I worked around it)

Rug Head

Jun 12, 2024, 2:44:01 AMJun 12
to Jonathan Dixon, Simon Still, Loxone English
You guys are much more technically minded than me , is there a job description that I could search for a local person , I presume this kind of stuff is not the job of a Loxone engineer?

Cheers

Simon Still

Jun 13, 2024, 4:42:42 AMJun 13
to Loxone English
Can't help on that - I did my own install, maintenance etc but I'm not a professional either at electrics or IT

Jonathan Dixon

Jun 13, 2024, 8:45:10 AMJun 13
to Rug Head, Simon Still, Loxone English
Just to clarify, by "this kind of stuff" are you thinking more about the immediate reconfigure the sky router to make intercom work, or the bigger project of securing remote access to your miniserver etc?
Either way, I don't think it actually has to be a local person. You can do a lot with remote access these days, so long as you sufficiently trust the person logging it to reconfigure your stuff.
Afraid I can't give a very clear name/description of the service you need, but I know there's several of us on this forum that could do it LOL.  I'm happy to have a chat about what I can do if you are interested