I need help with a KNX config

L P

May 13, 2024, 7:52:24 AMMay 13
to Loxone English
Hello,

I know this isn't a KNX group, but I'm guessing that some of you have experience in this area. I recently migrated my heating config (in Loxone) from the spaghetti mess that the original installer left me with and I'm only using the KNX thermostats as temperature sensors, controlling everything with the Loxone room controller. The problem is that we recently built an addition and the second installer configured things so that the KNX thermostat is directly controlling the KNX-connected heating actuator for that room. I need someone to help me with a very simple KNX change which is to stop the thermostat "talking" to the actuator. I'm pretty sure this can be done remotely as the Loxone mini server can be used as a KNX gateway. If anyone would be willing to do this work, please send me a message with an estimate.

Thanks,
Len

g...@camleyphotographic.com

May 13, 2024, 8:02:56 AMMay 13
to L P, Loxone English

You are going to need a copy of the ETS6 software to change the addresses of the actuators. It is not too difficult to do, when you know how. There is a very nice training course on the ETS website to show you how ETS works. Fully recommend that you do it to get your free license. Without this training it is very tricky to understand.

Yes, you will use the miniserver as the interface to send the messages/updates to the KNX devices.

Can you not get your contractor back to do this?

George

g...@camleyphotographic.com

May 13, 2024, 2:53:56 PMMay 13
to L P, gck via Loxone English

I think it is this link and there is a link to ecampus:

https://www.knx.org/knx-en/for-your-home/how-to-start/ets-home-edition/

There is a free edition of ETS6 that works with about 10 devices. I have the next edition which allows 64, which is just about enough for a single home.

The licenses are heavily discounted so ignore the full price figure. I paid about £150 (from memory) for a 64 device license.

One challenge you may have is that you do not know how your devices have been configured, so may have to re-configure them from scratch. I am not sure if you are able to extract the config from a device to allow to do a minor update.

George

May 13, 2024, 3:37:23 PMMay 13
to Loxone English
If the main contractors who did the programming will not respond then you will need to start from scratch with the programming. The problem you will face is that the contractor who did it will have the project for your system and without that you will not be able to reconfigure your devices without starting from scratch. You cannot really read KNX devices or a KNX system configuration and add it into ETS, you would normally put a device into programming mode and then tell ETS to send the configuration to the device in programming mode or if you already had the config you can send changes to thast device after updating the config in ETS. I have had a lot of experience dealing with pure KNX systems that have over 100 devices and it is not as straightforward to configure as Loxone. It works on broadcast group addresses and each device is programmed to respond to or listen to specific group address broadcasts on the bus, the change you want is actually very easy as all you would need to do is remove the group address associacion from the actuator but without the original project file the only way is to start from scratch. As George mentioned there is a free version if you have only 10 devices or a cheapish version if you have 64 or less but without the original file it is a larger job than you think.

duncan

May 13, 2024, 5:21:45 PMMay 13
to Loxone English
im not sure this is really too much of a job - it seems you only have the sensor(s) and actuators of the new extension to reconfigure, i assume all the old stuff is knx to loxone back to knx and wasnt modified?

if your new extension is connected to the old knx bus then you can look at the existing knx addresses for the sensors and actuators in the old house, then

1) reset and reprogram the new knx thermostat to use different group addresses and not talk directly to the heating actuator
2) add these knx devices / group addresses to your loxone project as inputs and outputs - assuming there is not crossover with group addresses you can add the knx addresses of the heating actuator to loxone without changing anything
3) mirror an existing loxone room setup to your new extension using the new knx inputs and outputs

learning ETS and the particulars of the new devices is the most complex task but the knx course will help considerably

Stickytricks

May 14, 2024, 12:08:56 PMMay 14
to Loxone English
As Duncan says it sounds fairly straight forward. Where are you based?