Rechargeable blinds - update (Eve Motionblinds)

Simon Still

Jul 4, 2024, 5:49:14 AMJul 4
to Loxone English
I know this is a Loxone forum, but my personal view is really we're interested in Home Automation solutions and where something works well enough 'automated' then I'm not dogmatic about Loxone integration.  My heating works off the boiler manufacturers weather comp controller for example.

So - my multi-year hunt (see previous threads) for rechargeable smart blinds ended with Eve Motionblind motors and they're brilliant.

there are two versions - the 'old' one works via BT and there is a wifi hub that sends BT signals if you want to integrate to Loxone but that needs a whole load of coding and I'm not sure you'd end up with something as smart as I've got now.  (2)

The matter version - scan the barcode on the pull cord and it appears in the Eve iPhone app.  (Caveat - my first blind took 5+ attempts to 'register'.  The second worked first time).  You can then set timed schedules (open in morning, close in evening) and also automatic shading - for which you hold your phone against the window pane and it uses the compass to set the shading times (allowing manual adjustment if there are trees/houses that mean you can shorten the period).
Since setting that up it just works - all the programming is supposedly held on the blind itself so theres no remote server(1).  If you want to override the position you can voice activate with Siri or use the pull cord.  The only time I anticipate needing to open the app is to turn off the shading through winter.  The basic open/close control is in the apple Home app as well.  Remains to be seen if Loxone ever implements 2-way matter integration

Battery life is meant to be about 6 months.  After some weeks my blinds are still showing 100% (?)

1)  The adaptive shading will presumably vary times over the season - I'm not sure where it connects to in order to get the time or whether it's all loaded when you set it up and maintained via an internal clock.
2)  The only thing the adaptive shading isn't taking into account is whether it's actually sunny, but if you're using the room and it isn't then you manually open the blind.