ADA Accessibility of our sidewalk

Kendall Willets

Feb 26, 2020, 11:48:36 PM2/26/20
to SFPD Northern Station, (POL), lowerhaightorg, saf...@hayesvalleysf.org
I've called many times, including twice tonight, but we are still denied the use of the sidewalk for many hours per day.  Can we schedule some times when pedestrians can walk down our block without having to walk in the gutter?

Ellen Eby

Mar 3, 2020, 4:40:38 PM3/3/20
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com, SFPD Northern Station, (POL), saf...@hayesvalleysf.org
I don't understand your complaint?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 5:48 AM Kendall Willets <ken...@willets.org> wrote:
I've called many times, including twice tonight, but we are still denied the use of the sidewalk for many hours per day.  Can we schedule some times when pedestrians can walk down our block without having to walk in the gutter?

Ellen Eby

Mar 3, 2020, 4:44:34 PM3/3/20
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com, SFPD Northern Station, (POL), saf...@hayesvalleysf.org
Shall we call you Sidewalk Steve? Jesus. Your emails to this list are fucking insane. Move to the suburbs if you can't handle a city.

Thea Selby

Mar 3, 2020, 8:34:59 PM3/3/20
to Ellen Eby, lowerha...@googlegroups.com, SFPD Northern Station, (POL), saf...@hayesvalleysf.org

Hello, Ellen.

I don’t know you but I know Kendall quite well and I can tell you he has done a lot for this neighborhood over the past 20 years.

If you have lived here over that time, you know what it used to be like here. Double homicides on my block. Regular gunshots. Terrified neighbors everywhere.

I don’t need to get into it with you via email but if you’d like to talk face to face with me I’m more than happy to meet with you.
In the meantime, please don’t disparage other neighbors and their efforts to make a better, safer neighborhood.
My email is th...@nextstepsmarketing.com if you’d like to email me directly or set up a time to meet.

Best,

Thea

Sent from my iPhone

Ellen Eby

Mar 4, 2020, 2:59:20 AM3/4/20
to Thea Selby, SFPD Northern Station, (POL), lowerha...@googlegroups.com, saf...@hayesvalleysf.org
Dear Thea,
Kendall has sent emails with racist undertones for years to this list, and I think it’s time he stop. Some of his past subject lines include, “Gang Occupying 300 block again”, and, “Gangsters in Haight/Webster area” despite no evidence of anyone being in a gang. Being in public space as a black person is not a crime, nor is idling on a sidewalk in your car. I would love to know what Kendall has done to build community other than repeatedly contacting the police (which of course puts black lives in danger).

Sincerely,
Ellen

Kendall Willets

Mar 4, 2020, 11:06:02 PM3/4/20
to lowerhaightorg
Well, I don't usually alert the list until things get intolerable, and I've exhausted every attempt to get McCormack Baron Salazar or the city to manage their property.

Not everything I see is gang-related I agree, but I would still like to head off any violence like what I've seen in the last 20 years, and most of that started with people loitering 24/7 in vehicles on the 300 block.

For example,  I once testified in Federal Court against a man who shot someone on Rose and ran all the way back down here to get in a car parked on the sidewalk; he liked this block so much he came back to murder several other people, including Ray Jimmerson Jr. who was visiting his grandmother a few doors down.  He had a whole group of "associates", if you will, who spent all day every day parked in cars on our block.  None of them actually lived here.

When it went to trial there were over 200 other witnesses against him, and the only dispute was over giving him the death penalty or not.

There was a separate case against his associates, and the outcome was that they were in fact part of a Racketeer-influenced and Corrupt Organization, and that they had committed crimes to further the goals of the organization.  RICO is one of the few statutes to define what a "gang" or "gang member" is.

At that time I was surprised to read the charge lists and find out all the things they had been doing in addition to what we had seen.  They were the leaders of the gang.  Since that time I tend to refer to similar patterns of behavior as gang activity, particularly when I can't find any other rationale for their actions.  In the past it was impossible to loiter out here and not be in the gang or at least approved by it (they controlled crack distribution). I hope that has changed,

As to these poor mislabeled young men (20-50 years old), the recent party shooting in Orinda claimed one; they keep popping up in crime stories.  Another guy robs cars now.  Many are dead.  There was another group in front of my house a few years ago (was that one I posted here? Maybe the second-to-last one): one arrested in front of me on weapons charges, two shot on Rose St., one fatally.  If they're not gangs what should I call this?  Boy Scouts?

Many of these are just young people with nothing to do, but I've seen how quickly it can turn into much worse, and by the time that happens there is no way to prevent it or undo it.

Ellen Eby

Oct 1, 2020, 5:20:56 PM10/1/20
to ken...@willets.or, Thea Selby, lowerha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kendall et al.,
I thought that now that we've been through the past few months we could all reflect on how racist your comments were for the past several years on this email list, and solicit your apology. Your prior response was frankly tone deaf, and I would be ashamed if I were your employer. I imagine what it would be like to work with you as a POC.

For the rest of the list, I think it has been made abundantly clear that using the POLICE to handle your petty complains endangers black lives.

Biden did not misspeak during the (horrific) debate earlier this week. We are living in a society where 1 in 1000 black people are dying from COVID in the US. Per day, it is more dangerous to be a black person under covid than an infantryman deployed to iraq or Afghanistan.

I think we can all reflect on how we benefit systemically, and how we contribute to this problem.

All the best,
Ellen

Ellen Eby

Oct 1, 2020, 5:22:26 PM10/1/20
to ken...@willets.org, lowerha...@googlegroups.com, Thea Selby
Oops!

+Kendall

Evan Matteo

Oct 1, 2020, 5:41:13 PM10/1/20
to Google Inc., ken...@willets.org, Thea Selby
Kendall, my family and I appreciate your efforts re: neighborhood safety.

Ellen, I don't know you, but you sound like Donald Trump, hurling insults without substance. It's not a good look.

Evan

David Wolfgang-Kimball

Oct 1, 2020, 6:59:15 PM10/1/20
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com, ken...@willets.org, Thea Selby
I believe NextDoor is the preferred platform for ad hominem attacks.

This list has been peaceful and informative for years, let’s not change that.

__
dpwk

r...@3-page.com

Oct 2, 2020, 2:44:16 PM10/2/20
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com, ken...@willets.org, Thea Selby
Thank you David.  I echo what Thea said.  I've known Kendall for a couple decades and he's one of the good guys.
RB